Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Nissan maxima: it keep turning but wont start

My nissan maxima won't start. it keep turning but won't start. Battery is ok, anf it got gas.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
HI there!What year is your maxi?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1993
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Ok,you need to see if the problem is fuel or spark.The quickest way to do this is to spray some carb cleaner into the intake and try to start the car.If it fires up for a couple of seconds then the fuel is the problem,if not then the spark is the problem.If you can perform this test and let me know the result,we can take it from there.Let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok I m going to try that

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Let me know what happens.ALso let me know if the security light is on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The security light is not on, I change the plugs and spray some carb cleaner as you suggested. I checked the fuses and the starter fuse did not give me any light. I switch the fuse, the same thing. The starter is new. I look like it want to start but keep turning.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
OK.Next thing to check is going to be the rotor under the distributor cap.Make sure it turns when you crank the car over.It sounds like you have a no fire condition.If it had fire it would at least fire on the carb cleaner.It might only run a second or two,but it would still run.
If the rotor is not turning while you crank the car then you may have broken the timing belt.Let me know the outcome...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did all I can still not working. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Rotor is turning?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My car does not have a distributor. It's a 1993 nissan maxima twin cam 6 cylinders.

I put new spark plugs. still won't start.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
OK.That being the case you probable have a bad cam sensor.I am going to send you some info.I would like to know if this is the setup you have and if you can check it for oil inside.If there is oil inside the car will not start.Thanks
VE30DE engines

See Figures 3 through 11

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Backprobe each terminal and check for voltage while rotating the sensor by hand
  1. Mark the position of the sensor on the cylinder head so the timing is not altered when it is installed.
  2. To remove the sensor from the engine, removing the two adjustment screws and pull the sensor out of the cylinder head.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: After the position of the sensor is marked, remove the adjustment bolts ...
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: ... then pull the sensor out of the cylinder head
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: Use a small wire to backprobe terminals A and B
  1. Disconnect the power transistor.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the ONposition.
  3. Backprobe the harness connector at terminal A and ground.
  4. While turning the distributor by hand, the voltage should fluctuate between 0 and 5 volts.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: When turning the sensor by hand, the voltage should fluctuate between 0 and 5 volts
  1. Backprobe the harness connector at terminal B and ground.
WARNING
Do not bridge terminals A and B together while checking for sensor function. Check each terminal separately.
  1. While turning the distributor by hand, the voltage should fluctuate between 0 and 5 volts.
  2. If the sensor does not respond to the test as described, the sensor may be faulty.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: To inspect the signal plate, remove the cover screws ...
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: ... then lift the cover off of the sensor. Inspect the signal plate for debris or damage
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 10: Be sure to replace the O-ring when installing the sensor
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.