Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

How do you change the crankshaft sensor on 2005 altima?

Customer Question

how do you change the crankshaft sensor on 2005 altima?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there!Is this the 2.5L or the v6 ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is the 2.5 motor with auto trans.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
OK.This is a fun one.First,you have to remove the air cleaner lid and the tube that runs to the throttle body.Once you have this off,you have to reach around to the back of the engine.You will feel the motor mount back there.Right along the motor mount is a wire,this wire runs to the crank sensor.Follow the wire and disconnect it.Once the wire is out of the way,there is one 10 mm bolt that holds the sensor in place.Normally with a small extension and ratchet,you can get the bolt out.Then pull the sensor out.If you lay over the top of the engine and look through the intake tubes you can almost see what you are doing.Hope this helps!
It is the lower left picture in this diagram
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am having trouble with the connector. Got a secret?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
This year might have this type where you have to push in the center and it will pop off.If it is this type,sometimes some penetrating oil will help free it up.Then they did switch to the tab type.If it is the tab type where you push on the back of the harness connector,sometimes a small pair of needle nose will help.They are a bear!!Thats what happens when engineers don't fix cars!!
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
I just got a tip from another expert.First,it is the push in type of connector.A small flat tipped screwdriver should help you push in the connector to help get it out.
Second,he says if the new sensor has a metal cap,make sure to plug in the connector before you install the new sensor,otherwise you won't be able to get the connector plugged back in.Thanks for the accept!