eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

how to tell if the alternator is going out

What is the year, model, and engine size of your Nissan? Do you have a DVOM(digital volt/ ohm meter) for testing?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have a 1994 Maxiam and its a V-6 engine

IS the battery light still coming on? Do you have a DVOM(digital voltmeter) in order to test it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The light came on for a second and no I don't have voltmeter.

Most likely, there is an alternator problem. For an accurate test you really need a voltmeter.

Do this test, with engine idling remove the positive cable from the battery. Usually if the alternator is bad, the engine will die. If the alternator is good, the engine will still run.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was told to remove the neg cable and I have tried that already but not the positive cable with the engine running. Is there anything I can do to check without a voltmeter. If I driving the vehicle will it stall or cut off because I don't want to get stuck on the road. I was hoping if it start it will be okay until I cut it off.

Without a voltmeter there isnt any way to accurately check the alternator's function. If it is a new battery and the alternator is not working, you can get 5-10 days of short (less than 50 miles) drives before the battery dies and wont restart. Make sure you keep all the accessories off unless absolutely needed. Nighttime driving will drain the battery twice as fast with the headlights on.