Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

1996 nissan maxima: it starts right up but wont stay running what

Customer Question

i have a 1996 nissan maxima it starts right up but wont stay running what could be the problem
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using

Do you have a service engine soon light on? Also, beside it not able to idle, how does the car run? Will it idle if you start it first thing in the Am after the car has sat over night?

Let me know. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My check engine light does not come on, nothing came on at all i was driving it i got out of the car, got back in about 2 minutes later and started it up, it started right up and as i was coming out of the parking lot and got into traffic it hesitated like it was about to die, and a little bit after that it did die on me i had to start it up about 8 times to get it home i put it in park and started the car, then put it in drive and kept doing that until i made it home now its sitting in the driveway because when i got out there to start it, it starts but it wont stay on long enough for me to move it. i cant even get it out of the driveway to have someone check it unless i tow it there.

Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Since you do not have a check engine light I, I would have the idle checked. Low base idle setting or carbon build up on the throttle body could cause poor idle. Also I would check Maf ( Mass Air Flow) operation. You can check this when the car is at the point where it will not idle. If you unplug the Maf and start it up and it stays running, you most likely looking at a Maf problem. I would still have the throttle chamber cleaned and Idle adjusted also how ever. Also check Tps settings, and adjust as needed.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok how do i do all that if i cant get it to a shop for them to check all that out. or can u tell me how to do it so i can do it myself
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
There is no way to properly adjust the Tps with out a scan tool or a voltmeter. There is also no other way to check fuel and air mixture. To clean the throttle chamber, just buy a can of carburetor cleaner, and get a rag. Then remove the air hose to the throttle chamber. Pull throttle cables so butterfly opens, and spray and wipe clean. ( Perform this with engine off ) Then after you are done, car will be a bit hard to start, but after it does, just rev it to blow it out. To set the idle, there is a idle screw on the intake plenum. To adjust the idle, you want to turn it to raise and lower the idle. You want to hear a slight hiss, from the throttle chamber through the hose. It could help, but it's not an accurate fix.

Here is a image of it's location, I am sorry I don't have a better image, this screw is located by the throttle body.graphic

Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
If you do not have any further questions on this topic, please press Accept so the thread can be closed. Thanks Jay!