Joe, Nissan Mechanic
Experience:  23 years auto repair experiance.

My 1991 Nissan Pathfinders anti-lock brake warning light is

My 1991 Nissan Pathfinder's anti-lock brake warning light is on. The brakes seem to work fine. Does this warning light also indicate if the drums on the rears wheels are worn? What else might it mean? Hope you can help. thanks. tm
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

Hello tmolnar- The anti lock light indicates a problem with the ABS system, and has nothing to do with the condition of the drums/rotors.. If the red brake light was on that would indicate a problem with the hydraulic system/leak.

The brakes will work fine with the abs light on, just the anti lock part of the brakes wont work.

When the abs light is on, there is a code stored. To retrieve the code you need to ground test terminal 3 and count the flashes of the abs light. The test connector is under the dash, to the left of steering column.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Joe,
When I have this code (ie.number of flashes) can I provide this to a mechanic and they reset my anti lock system?
thanks again
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.
When you get the code number, it will indicate what part of the abs system is failing-(wheel speed sensor, control module, relay) and will give your mechanic a place to start checking for faults.