Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

Front Blower on my Nissan Quest 2004 does not work. (The rear

Customer Question

Front Blower on my Nissan Quest 2004 does not work. (The rear works fine). When I try to change speed on the knob, I hear the relay clicking but the fan does not come on. Some time it comes on run for some time and then go off on its own and it happens even when the car is running on idle. Is it blower motor, or blower motor resistor or relay or something else?.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

HI!

The best way to figure this out is with a test light , unplug the blower motor when it stops and see if it has power and ground at the plug, If it has power and a ground on the other wire, the motor would be bad. if not it could be the resistor or the controller going bad. Let me know if you have more questions, ROY!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I do not know how to reach the power connector on the blower I would appreciate your guidance in in accessing it. Also but when I took off the resistor., I tested the following:

With ignition on, and fan speed selector knob on max, I checked the power on the plug. The plug had power only on its first pin the other three pins had no power. When I try to attach jumper wire between the first and any other pin, the blower still does not run, does that mean that the blower motor itself is bad?

Where is the controller located and how can I check it?.

Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

Ok!

here is the inspection for the resistor, I would start here, Thanks ROY!graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
With the resistor off, should the blower motor work at max speed? or it should not work at all.
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

OK!

If the resistor is grounded it will be max speed, it grounds through the switch here is the electrical pic. Thanks ROY!graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much for your quick responses. I ca nswear I have seen this blower running with the resistor off the circuit ( two times) does that mean that there is a short, if yes where is it?. Also please help in accessing the blower motor connectors and also instructions how to replace it if needed. Thanks a lot.
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

OK!

If you ground the blue and white wire at the resistor the motor should run, if not the motor will be bad, if it works then the switch would be bad.you should also have power at this wire. the motor will run with the resistor unpluged if the switch is in the number 4 high position. this is a direct ground for the motor. let me know , ROY!

Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

HI!

You do not want the blower motor to be bad you will have to remove the complete blower box to get to it, Thanks ROY!graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for all the help. I found the fault. It was the Front Blower motor relay located near the battery. Your messages for acceptance were blocked by my junk mail filter. Sorry for the delay. Thanks again.
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

OK!

I am glad you figured it out, and Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Accept, ROY!