Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

My 06 altima will not come out of park. Is there a common problem,

Customer Question

My 06 altima will not come out of park. Is there a common problem, maybe an easy fix?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

There are a few different problems that can cause this problem, the first is the brake switch, check and make sure your brake lights are working , there is also a interlock control unit that can cause this problem, the third thing is the relay on the shift solenoid on the shifter, these are the most common problems with the interlock system the only easy fix would be the brake switch, let me know if you have more questions, ROY!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Roy, does the interlock control pull the solenoid to ground, is that how this circiut is controled? My diagrams are crude, yet I believe I have made enough sense of them. I dont believe i am getting that ground. The brake lamps work, also.

Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

OK!

Here is the interlock electrical system power comes from the switch to the control unit to the solenoid , Thanks ROY!

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Roy, sorry I took so long to get b ack to you. My customers Altima has an extended warranty. I'm so lucky to have done all the diag work to tell them that they need the $500 shifter assembly that they opted to have the dealer repair at no ost to them!! The main reason i have yet to accept any answer is that my last question wasnt aswered. You gave me the same diagram I have. The way the shift lock control operates the shift lock solenoid is by pulling that circuit to ground. I answered that myself after jumping it to ground! The shift lock released and the shifter could be moved from park. Maybe if i had revealed that I myself an a Master ASE Tech you would have gotten more technical for me. I always appreciate being correct with my diags and knowing how a system operates is the only way. I couldnt see any other way this system worked yet wanted confirmation before i "f" something up. The info you provided was useful info yet I had all that already. Thanks again for your time and knowledge.