Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

Hello. My steering wheel is really hard to turn. I have replaced

Customer Question

Hello. My steering wheel is really hard to turn. I have replaced the steering wheel pump and the steering wheel is still hard to turn. What else can be wrong?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Hi there!What model nissan is it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nissan 300zx
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK.Sorry I did not see that info on the first post.My info only goes back to 94 however I can give you some other ideas to look at.The front bearing plates and ball joints coulld be aticking.If you can get both front wheels off the ground you can turn the wheels back and forth and see if you can feel the binding.You may have to disconnect the tie rod ends to eliminate the rack and pinion.Next,check the steering coupler.Sometimes the small u joint in the coupler will begin to bind up.Normally this will give it a lose tight lose feeling as you turn the wheel.If all of that checks out ok then you probably have a bad rack and pinion.Hope this helps!Thanks