Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2001 XTerra: service engine soon..engine soon light..Gas cap is tight

Customer Question

2001 XTerra service engine soon light came on has truck has 109,372 miles on it is this on a timer? Gas cap is tight.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2001 Nissan XTERRA V6

Already Tried:
Tightened up gas cap
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there!The check engine light is not on a timer.It is on because onbe of the systems has a problem.If the truck seems to be running normally then it is likley that part of the evap system has failed.This is usually a small leak in a hose or a solinoid has quit working.Most parts stores will read the code that has made the light come on at no charge.Once you get the code you could post it here andI could tell you what type of problem you have and how best to go about repairing the truck.Hope this helps!Thanks
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did go by Advanced Auto Parts on the way home and the coded pulled were PO134 Bank One, PO325 Bank One. After the codes were pulled my services soon light went out. Did something need to be reset?

Thank You
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,
They most likley cleared the codes for you.The p0325 is for the knock sensor.This code will not turn the light on.The othr code,the P0134 is a code for the passenger side O2 sensor.It is the front O2 sensor in front of the converter.
I would say if the light comes back on with the same code,you should likely replace that sensor.
Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can see a O2 sensor on the passenger side right around the exhaust manifold on the side of the engine is this the correct one or will it be under the truck?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,Yes, it is the o2 sensor you can see in or just after the manifold.This is sensor 1 bank 1.Anytime the sensor is befor the converter it is sensor #1.Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I just replaced the O2 bank one sensor and drove the Xterra around the block a few times but the service engine soon light is still on will it reset in a day or so?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
It will take 40 trips to reset.Take it back to the parts store and ask them to reset it for you.Then you should be good to go!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Last question. Would you worry about the knock sensor error code?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
I would not.It is a common code.It will not turn the light on even if it sets the code.It is really there to prevent pinging when the vehicle is under heavy load.