Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Where is the neutral safety switch on a 96 nissan pick up located at?

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
HI there!Is this a manual trans or auto?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Auto
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
OK,the neutral saftey switch is part of the inhibitor switch located on the side of the transmission.Here is some info.IT will also tell you how to adjust it after you put the new onbe on.Hope this helps!
NEUTRAL SAFETY/INHIBITOR SWITCH
L4N71B and E4N71B Models

See Figures 5 and 6

The switch unit is bolted to the the transmission case, behind the transmission shift lever. The switch prevents the engine from being started in any gear position except P or N. It also controls the back-up lights.

1. Place the transmission selector lever in the N position.
  2. Remove the screw from the switch.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: Remove the screw before switch adjustment-L4N71B and E4N71B
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: Insert the pin to adjust the switch-L4N71B and E4N71B
  1. Loosen the attaching bolts. With a 2.0mm aligning pin, move the switch until the pin engages the hole in the rotor.
  2. Tighten the attaching bolts equally.
  3. Make sure while holding the brakes on, that the engine will start only in P or N. Check that the back-up lights go on only in R.
RL4R01A and RE4R01A Models

See Figures 7 and 8

The switch unit is bolted to the the transmission case, behind the transmission shift lever. The switch prevents the engine from being started in any transmission position except P or N. It also controls the back-up lights.

1. Disconnect the shift linkage at the switch assembly
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Remove the shift control linkage-RL4R01A and RE4R01A
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: Insert the pin through the two adjustment holes-RL4R01A and RE4R01A
  2. Loosen the switch mounting bolts.
  3. Insert a 4.0mm aligning pin into the adjusting holes in both the switch and the manual shaft so that it is as vertical as possible.
  4. Tighten the mounting bolts equally, connect the shift linkage and remove the pin.
  5. Make sure while holding the brakes on, that the engine will start only in P or N. Check that the back-up lights go on only in R.

Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.