autodoc_2000, ASE Master Technician W/Advanced En
Experience:  15 Years experience working on foreign automobiles

Transmission stuck in 3rd or 4th gear, not sure. If I restart

Customer Question

Transmission stuck in 3rd or 4th gear, not sure. If I restart several times, reverts back to normal operation. Sometimes when stuck Overdrive light will flash. Can you point me in the right direction as to where the problem might be. Trans operates fine when normal. Fluid level ok, no odor.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Nissan?
-What model is your Nissan?
-How many miles are on your Nissan?
-What type of engine is in your Nissan?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
2001 Sentra. Approx 130,000 Has a 1.8 liter engine. I have tried some fuel additives recommended when I thought it might be a fuel problem. Other than that, runs great when the transmission works. Hot or cold does not matter relative to the stuck in gear condition. Will not shift up or down from stuck gear relative to the position of the shift lever. The OD light flashing does not always occur. I thought perhaps that means that there would be a code stored somewhere like when the check engine light flashes.

You should be able to retrieve codes the same as retrieving them for the engine. There is a TSB for your vehicle and I will include it below.

March 10, 2004

2002-2004 Altima (L31)
2000-2003 Maxima (A33)
2004 Maxima (A34) with 4-speed A/T ONLY
1999-2002 Quest (V41)
2004 Quest (V42) with 4-speed A/T ONLY
2000-2004 Sentra (B15)

An Applied Vehicle equipped with an automatic transaxle has ALL of the following conditions:

^Abnormal shifting (like: slip, "shift shock", no shift, improper shift timing)

^Transmission fluid is not burnt

^No excessive debris in oil pan*

^The incident is listed as an A/T internal fault as per the Electronic Service Manual (ESM) diagnostic procedure

*See A/T Fluid Cooler Inspection Procedure in the appropriate ESM.

Policy Change

When ESM diagnosis shows an incident is caused by an A/T internal fault for an Applied Vehicle;

^DO NOT replace the transaxle assembly.

^Instead, first replace the control valve assembly (valve body) of the incident transmission. Use the latest part number shown in your Nissan Parts Catalogue.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does the occasional flashing of the OD light indicate that a code is stored relative to the A/T? The service bulletin suggests that the control valve assembly may be the problem. It also states that a fluid cooler inspection procedure should be performed if an A/T internal fault is indicated. Are they related? If fluid cooling was an issue, could I assume that the problem would not occur on a cold start as it currently does? Is the control valve assembly readily accessible? If so, can you pinpoint the location? Is this something that I could handle myself? I'm a girl, but I've busted tires and worked the pits in a racing family. I know my way around cars. Thanks. :)