AutoTech08
AutoTech08, Workshop owner
Experience:  Diploma in Automotive Engineering, 30 years working experience.

1990 nissan 300zx: tail lights..lowbeams or dash lights..checked fuses

Customer Question

1990 nissan 300zx no tail lights,lowbeams or dash lights do have highbeams,and brakelights put new headlight switch and checked fuses still nothing
Category: Nissan
Expert:  AutoTech08 replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

I would suggest checking/testing the headlight relays.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked all of the relays several times but still nothing. Sometimes it will work for about a week but then it will stop working for a while.

Hi Nick,

Since it is an intermittent problem, I believe it should be caused by a loose or bad connection. The power supply for the taillights, instrument clusters etc get it power supply from the Fuse block # XXXXX , Red/Blue wire. I would suggets checking the fuse block for bad/overheated connections.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the fuse block does'nt seem to be the problem.

Hi there,

Lets go to diagnosis at the HeadLight switch.

1. Check for power supply to Pink/Black and Pink wire. If power is available, ground them and if headlight works, you need to check the switch grounding. If ok, the switch is bad.

2. Check for power supply to Red/Blue wire. If power is available and if you bridge it to the Green/Red wire, the taillights and illumination lights should work. If yes, the switch is bad.

Lets start with this first.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
all checks ok i found some kind of relay in trunk about the size of apack of cigarettes seems to be bad could that be the problem

Hi there,

It is possible for the relays to be related to the problem.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i wen't to nissan to get a price 100 dollars and they said the brake light sensor would'nt affect the headlights.but the sensor i took isnt the brake light sensor thats on the drivers side of the trunk that tests good unless theirs two.just dont think this is the problem im not getting power from the switch to the headlight relays when i turn the switch 1 click parking lights none of the relays click thiers nothing for the parking lights relays.2 clicks the high beams come on but no parking lights the dimmer switch does nothing every position is high beams is their anything ealse between the switch and the relays.other than the fuse block and the wires and the dimmer switch wouldnt affect the parking lights would it the turn signals do work

Hi there,

The only thing the low beams and taillights have in common is the switch.

At switch, attach a wire to Pink or Pink/black and ground it to any body location. Does the headlight works or relay clicks? If yes you need to check the switch, it has bad contact internally or the ground (earth) wire connection is bad.