Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician

I smell gasoline off and on outside the car by the back of

I smell gasoline off and on outside the car by the back of the car.Its not coming from inside ,I kept the windows closed and checked.A mechanic looked at the fuel lines and saw no leaks the gas tank was wet but it was not gas(some oil they sprayed a while back to help with rust.And no smell around the engine.where is this coming from and how to proceed?There does not seem to be any fuel loss either 1998 nissan altima.also the car runs very well
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

If you smell gas at the back of your car and do not see fuel , I would think you could have an o-ring leak for the fuel pump at the top of the tank , the best way to inspect this is remove the back lower seat cushion remove the cover and inspect for leak at the top of the tank, Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Its outside the car you cant smell it inside
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.
I know this is why you will have to remove the cover from the inside to see the top of the tank that is under the car . you will not smell it inside it is sealed, Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So let me get this straight .If there is a o-ring leak thats a good possibility why I am smelling gas outside my car and what is a fair charge for parts and labor thanks
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.
The gas tank is out side your car , you can access the top of the tank to inspect the outside tank ,from a sealed cover inside the car this is why you do not smell gas inside it is sealed cover you remove to inspect for leaks. on the outside tank. the seal is around $15.00 if this is the problem. Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok Roy 1 last q.I have not seen any evidence of leaking like gas on the ground and what else could it be ?thank u for your patience
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.
It would have to be a fuel hose or loose clamp on the hose, or the pump seal at the top of the tank, if they are ok, the only other thing would be the evap canister for emissions under the car, it is a black plastic box by the left rear of the car. not common but could be leaking fuel. Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Nissan Master technician