Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2000 Xterra: the check engine light on..knock code

We have a 2000 Xterra with the check engine light on. We have an old code for the knock sensor which, we understand, will not trigger the light. We also get a computer code 75 with an "unknown description". What does this code indicate?
Hi there!You get code 75 when you read it with an OBDII scan tool?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The scan tool is a Genisys SPX OTC.
I do not see a code 75 anywhere in the service manual for the xterra.Is it possibly a code 175?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We're going to rescan it. Can I leave this window open until I can get back to you with additional information?
Yes, you can.Also,you are correct on the knock sensor not turning the light on.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We just rescanned the Xterra and got code 075 description unavailable.
OK,I put it into the nissan search engine and all I am coming up with is an evap malfunction.These are instructions for flashing the code.It is best if you use a watch with a secoind hand and be precise.If we can get an actual emmisions code out of this sucker I should be able to help you out.If it doesn't work let me know

How to read the engine codes without a Nissan CONSULT or scan tool. (Set ECM in Diagnostic Test Mode II)

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.

2. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.

1. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.

2. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the MIL starts blinking.

4. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

5. ECM has entered to Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic results).

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I won't be able to get back to you on this until tomorrow morning. How do I get in contact with you then?
You can just reply to this post.I will get an email to let me know you have.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Dan was working on this and was away for a couple of days. In the interm, one of the other guys cleared the codes on this vehicle. I will keep your instructions in case the code comes back. Thank you for your prompt service. I will definitely leave positive feedback.