Ask Infiniti Nissan Specialist Your Own Q...
Infiniti Nissan Specialist
Infiniti Nissan Specialist, ASE master technician
Experience:  Infiniti Nissan specialist. ASE Master technician. 25+ years general automotive experience
6946944

My drivers seat wont go back and forward. It will move up

My driver's seat won't go back and forward. It will move up and down and the seat back moves forward and back. It is a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE. Thanks.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Infiniti Nissan Specialist replied 8 years ago.
more than likely the seat slide motor has failed. Usually you can tap the motor with a small hammer and it will temporarily "wake" up the motor. The motor is located at the front of the seat toward the center console. Nissan sells a repair kit that contains the motor, gears, and cable.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you but what exactly does the motor look like and I assume after a few taps with no response I am due for a new motor. And then does a replacement kit require installation from a NIssan Technician?
Sorry I took awhile to get back to you, internet was down for awhile. The motors usually have a shiny light gold looking casing and is toward the inside top front of the seat. This is a common failure, that is why an updated motor was made available. If you are mechanically inclined tackling this isn't too hard. I would give this a 4 out of 10 for difficulty. Many times getting the seat mounting bolts out is the hardest part of the job if the seat is stuck over the mounting bolts.The seat has to come out in the raised position and the bottom cusion must be unfastened by removing 4 corner bolts. Once the cusion is raised up you can access the mounting bolts for the motor/worm drive nuts that hold everything together.