If your talking about the relearn where you key on -3sec then within 5 secs pedal down 5 times....,. I did that with everthing together. I bouth the truck 4 weeks ago with it idling consistently at 1500 rpms. It did start the surging after I messed with a few things. The plunger on the wax element is always out about an inch. Is that correct?
Yes you are right. I didn' have the info about unplugging the TPS. So at this point, you are not suspicious of the wax element and also you want me to reassemble everhing and try this procdure. I took unit apart to clean throttle body. Before a reassemble, any recommendations to finish clean. I have been using throttle body cleaner and removing all buildup and residue andwiping down with a cloth
I don't know how this works. Is this supposed to go back and forth until problem resolved? I may not have time to reassemble until tomorrow eveing. Will you pick up where we left off after you are able to get back online. And I don't know how the Bonus situation works but I will definetly be happy to Bless You! Once my problem is worked out.
I finished cleaning and reassembled TB. Reconnected everthing. Throttle cable is not tight. Did the relearn idle procedure twice and nothing seemed to change. Currently, after warming up for a minute @ 2000 rpm. Now surging consistently from 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm
I was pulling the wrong harness so I did generate a code. I don't have a computer but I have the procedure for clearing the codes and it works. I tried the relearn two more times. When I unplug the harness, the idle goes up and after I reconnect it within the 5 secs, it kicks right in with the surging. So to try it with it in gear I will need an assistant hehe. No codes from normal running, only when I play with connections.But I will give it a shot
I tried it but it didn't seem to help. So so we are on the same page. This a manual. Should I apply brake and release clutch a little to force idle down. Just having in gear didn't make a difference. I had my wife do the ignition while I unplugged the harness. No difference. Any other suggestions?
Roy, this may be at the point where a scan tool may be needed to diagnosis the idle problem. Didn't know it was a stick, that can make it even more difficult to set.
It is possible that the IAC valve may have failed, and some times it takes out the ECM also.
I am sorry to say, with out the proper tools, this may be to difficult to figure out. Sensor reading and voltages tests are required at this point.
If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
I do have some electrival skills. Besides using any specialize Nissan equipment. Is there anything else you might suggest using a volt/ohm meter that I could test. Any last tries. I am willing to take it to a Nissan dealer but my first exerience with one of our local dealers was bad. I wouldn't have a problem if they would truly troubleshoot and just change what is necassary and not want to do 1/2 dozen items like the first dealer. Anyways, any last things to check? If you were on a dessert island with just a meter and your wits ????
Roy, Let me double check the manul, then at worcheck the Nissan computer and see if there is anything else you can try. I will be on later on this evening.
There is one more thing you can try that I found, if this doesn't do it, then I am afraid I have used up all my resources with out actually being there with the proper tools to help you.
On the side of the throttle body there is a idle screw. Try to turn that down to lower the idle, then try the idle relearn procedure again.
Thats the last thing I can think of. I got that from a old bulletin, but with the bulletin, they want you to use the scan tool to help set the idle. The bulletin number is XXXXX
If there is any thing else I can do for you, just let me know. Thanks Jay!
Thanks for all your help. I continued to troubleshoot issue and purchased a better manual on Ebay. I went through and checked some voltages particularly on the IACV. Everthing was fine. Pulled the IACV switch off and noticed the plunger was stuck in. Release it and reassembled and no different. This time I pulled the whol IACV from the throttle body and again, it was stuck in. Unit had alot of carbon build-up. I cleaned with throttle body cleaner and reassemble with a home made gasket and wha-la. My idle finally came down under a grand. I may still need to do a little tweaking but I just wanted to let you know the final outcome and say thanks,