Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

High Idle - Irrattic. Have a 2002 Frontier 2.4 manual.

Customer Question

High Idle - Irrattic. Have a 2002 Frontier 2.4 manual. Told $1600 from Nissan. No current codes. Was idling @ 1500. Monkeyed with it and made it worse - it surges now between 1500 and 2000. Currenlty have TB off and cleaning but I believe the problem is FIC Thermal Element. Plunger is always out about an inch (hot or cold). What should it be (in or out) hot? cold? How can I remove it. Do I need to take the top part of the throttle body off? Can the thermal unit be test with cold and hot water in a sing?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

The wax element should only be replaced if it's leaking. Do not remove it. Did you also remove the TPS? If you didn't... "Don't Touch it" unless you have a scan tool to set it up, do not mess with it.

Lets slow down, and put the car back together.

After you get it back together, I will give you the steps to perform a manual Idle relearn. Lets start there, before jumping the gun and taking things apart that don't need to be.

Let me know when your ready.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Jay,

If your talking about the relearn where you key on -3sec then within 5 secs pedal down 5 times....,. I did that with everthing together. I bouth the truck 4 weeks ago with it idling consistently at 1500 rpms. It did start the surging after I messed with a few things. The plunger on the wax element is always out about an inch. Is that correct?

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
you left out the part where your suppose to unplug the TPS, and I think those steps you were doing are for a different year truck.graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Jay,

Yes you are right. I didn' have the info about unplugging the TPS. So at this point, you are not suspicious of the wax element and also you want me to reassemble everhing and try this procdure. I took unit apart to clean throttle body. Before a reassemble, any recommendations to finish clean. I have been using throttle body cleaner and removing all buildup and residue andwiping down with a cloth

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Yes the carb cleaner is fine to clean it. Do not remove or mess with the TPS though. The wax element I do not suspect at all. They never go bad. The only thing I have ever seen fail on those wax elements is it will start to leak coolant cause the seal wore away.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
also make sure the throttle cable and cruise cables are not to tight.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Jay,

I don't know how this works. Is this supposed to go back and forth until problem resolved? I may not have time to reassemble until tomorrow eveing. Will you pick up where we left off after you are able to get back online. And I don't know how the Bonus situation works but I will definetly be happy to Bless You! Once my problem is worked out.

Roy

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Roy, this is only a first step. If it works, then great. But you need to start at the beginning, and not jump ahead of yourself. So work on performing the Idle relearn. I am online in the evenings, so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Jay,

I finished cleaning and reassembled TB. Reconnected everthing. Throttle cable is not tight. Did the relearn idle procedure twice and nothing seemed to change. Currently, after warming up for a minute @ 2000 rpm. Now surging consistently from 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Try doing the relearn while in gear, and see if that helps. Do you have a check engine light on? Do you know the code if you do? Do you have a way to clear the check engine light?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Jay,

I was pulling the wrong harness so I did generate a code. I don't have a computer but I have the procedure for clearing the codes and it works. I tried the relearn two more times. When I unplug the harness, the idle goes up and after I reconnect it within the 5 secs, it kicks right in with the surging. So to try it with it in gear I will need an assistant hehe. No codes from normal running, only when I play with connections.But I will give it a shot

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
I know when I have performed Idle learns with the scan tool, when I have a fluctuating idle, I put it in gear till it stabilizes then put it in neutral and it seems to work.

Let me know how you make out, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried it but it didn't seem to help. So so we are on the same page. This a manual. Should I apply brake and release clutch a little to force idle down. Just having in gear didn't make a difference. I had my wife do the ignition while I unplugged the harness. No difference. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Roy

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

Roy, this may be at the point where a scan tool may be needed to diagnosis the idle problem. Didn't know it was a stick, that can make it even more difficult to set.

It is possible that the IAC valve may have failed, and some times it takes out the ECM also.

I am sorry to say, with out the proper tools, this may be to difficult to figure out. Sensor reading and voltages tests are required at this point.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Jay,

I do have some electrival skills. Besides using any specialize Nissan equipment. Is there anything else you might suggest using a volt/ohm meter that I could test. Any last tries. I am willing to take it to a Nissan dealer but my first exerience with one of our local dealers was bad. I wouldn't have a problem if they would truly troubleshoot and just change what is necassary and not want to do 1/2 dozen items like the first dealer. Anyways, any last things to check? If you were on a dessert island with just a meter and your wits ????

Thanks,
Roy

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

Roy, Let me double check the manul, then at worcheck the Nissan computer and see if there is anything else you can try. I will be on later on this evening.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

There is one more thing you can try that I found, if this doesn't do it, then I am afraid I have used up all my resources with out actually being there with the proper tools to help you.

On the side of the throttle body there is a idle screw. Try to turn that down to lower the idle, then try the idle relearn procedure again.

Thats the last thing I can think of. I got that from a old bulletin, but with the bulletin, they want you to use the scan tool to help set the idle. The bulletin number is XXXXX

If there is any thing else I can do for you, just let me know. Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Please don't forget to press Accept, so this thread can be closed.

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hey Jay,

Thanks for all your help. I continued to troubleshoot issue and purchased a better manual on Ebay. I went through and checked some voltages particularly on the IACV. Everthing was fine. Pulled the IACV switch off and noticed the plunger was stuck in. Release it and reassembled and no different. This time I pulled the whol IACV from the throttle body and again, it was stuck in. Unit had alot of carbon build-up. I cleaned with throttle body cleaner and reassemble with a home made gasket and wha-la. My idle finally came down under a grand. I may still need to do a little tweaking but I just wanted to let you know the final outcome and say thanks,

Roy

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Thats great, I am glad you got it. Your very welcome. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com

You do not need to press accept since you already payed. Thanks Jay!