ttiger79, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Certified L1 advanced level engine performance

I have a 1996 Nissan Sentra which needs power steering fluid.

I have a 1996 Nissan Sentra which needs power steering fluid. Owner's manual says to use Dextron II or equivalent. I know that Dextron II has been replaced by Dextron III. Have not been able to find Dextron III in any local Checkers or other auto supply places? They have Prestone, Valvoline, etc. Prestone power steering fluid says its good "for most foreign cars". Is it equivalent to Dextron II or III? Can I use it. Some of the other "regular" power steering fluid makers stated "not for Honda" specifically, but nothing about Nissan.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 8 years ago.
You can use dexron II or dexron III to fill your power steering fluid back up. Dexron II is still available. Dexron III is an updated fluid, and just has different additives in it. You can use either. I would stay away from the stuff that's good for "most foreign" cars. This is just regular power steering fluid, not ATF.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I live in a rural area and have not been able to find Dextron II or III anywhere, that's why I asked if Prestone was equivalent since the manual did say to use "Dextron II or equivalent".

What is ATF? Perhaps I should be looking for it.
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 8 years ago.
Ahh, I see the concern.

The Prestone will work in an emergency, but Dexron II or III are the recommended fluids. ATF is just an abbreviation for automatic transmission fluid. If you live near a Checker Auto, just ask them for automatic transmission fluid for any GM vehicle. They all use Dexron II or III. Any auto parts store or even a Wal-Mart will carry this fluid.