Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

1984 Datsun 720, manual trans, 2wd; charging system wasnt

Customer Question

1984 Datsun 720, manual trans, 2wd; charging system wasn't charging; had battery charged and tested (okay) and alternator tested (okay); traced to missing charge lamp in dash (replaced); alternator now charging (14.4 VDC @ 1200 rpm) but now charge lamp will not turn off; there does not appear to be a socket for a auto choke relay so should not be a parallel circuit issue. Thank you for any direction.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

HI!

I have some dia that might help here is the electrical and relay location, Thanks ROY!graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
part of the second diagram was cut off so that all relay positions weren't labeled. But it looks a lot like the diagram in my Haynes manual. I can see the inhibitor relay, which has been disconnected for some reason, but that doesn't seem to be connected electrically to the missing auto choke provision. Theoretically, the lamp should turn off after 12 VDC comes back to the other side of the circuit. What else would cause the charge lamp to not turn off after the alternator begins to charge?
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

HI!

I would check both powers to the relay, also check to see if the dash wire could be grounded some where between the dash and realy keeping thelight on, Thanks ROY!

(I will be off for a while ) ROY!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
which relay?
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

OK!

The relay is located under the glove box pass, side hear is another pic to locate the choke relay check for the powers from the electrical dia. I gave you , thanks ROY!

graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ah okay, there lay another issue. There is no auto choke relay there, nor the socket it should plug into. Having inspected the wiring harness there is no sign there ever was a socket for the auto choke relay. The only socket is in the position the diagram says should be the inhibitor relay. There are four wires going to the relay that is there. The auto choke relay should only have three wires. Is there a model that does not have an auto choke relay? and to make sure what I have really is the inhibitor relay, do you have the wiring diagram for that component?
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

HI!

The choke relay wire colors are ,yellow with a red tracer, white with a blue tracer, and a solid brown wire. this is the only dia, I can find for your truck, for the choke relay for your truck, if it is not there our dia are no good , this is very strange I will try and see if I can find more info so far no luck, sorry ROY!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hey bro, I appreciate your effort. As I stated at the onset, the diagrams you provided I already had via my Haynes manual. Unless you know of a model without the auto choke relay, and where to procede from here, I am no further along now than when we began. Thanks for trying though.
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

HI!

This is the only dia, I have for your year truck, ok! sorry I could not help you more! Thank you for using JustAnswer" ROY!