Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

1997 Nissan Altima, changed fuel pump by accessing it through

1997 Nissan Altima, changed fuel pump by accessing it through hole under back seat. Can see a bracket of some kind in the fuel tank through the hole but couldn't figure out how to mount the plastic casing that the houses the fuel pump to the bracket. The plastic casing is too large to come out through the hole or the manipulate around very much so I couldn't see the back side/bottom of the casing. Can you help?? Also, after replacing the fuel pump the fuel gauge does not work, how can I fix that?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Here is a image that may assist you on how to get the fuel pump out.
graphic
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We already got the old fuel pump out and the new one in...what we can't figure out is how we are suppose to secure the plastic housing to the bracket in the fuel tank. Right now the housing is just floating around in the tank.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
The plastic retainer is part of the tank. If that broke off, you will need to remove the tank, empty it and hot glue it back into place. There is no clips like the fuel pump for the plastic retainer that holds the pump assemble.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One more question...will it hurt anything if we drive the car and leave the fuel pump and housing floating around the tank until we can pull the tank to fix it?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Well, leaving it floating around isn't good for the pump, it will just keep banging around. You may also get stalling if the fuel level gets low. Since the pump is just floating around, if fuel level gets low, and the pick up screen goes above fuel level, you will stall. It will also pull on the wires, witch isn't good either. Those are just some things you should consider, the longer you wait.

Hope this helps, Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer