Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
6166830

Nissan X-Trail 2003. Heater fan noise problem. Mechanic says

Customer Question

Nissan X-Trail 2003. Heater fan noise problem. Mechanic says cause is (probably) a worn bushing allowing contact to be made with the housing. Noise occurs sporadically, but almost always when car makes a sharpish right turn. Mechanic says that problem is costly to fix, owing to the difficulty of getting at the fan, and can't be solved/reduced by just spraying a lubricant into the air strean. But I have read somewhere in the Nissan literature (relating to another problem) that the heater is 'easily accessible' because it is behind the glove box. Worth £10 to me to know what the real situation is.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 8 years ago.
hi the fan is easy to access it is right by the glove box you just need to remove the screws that hold the box in, then 3 screws hold the blower in there my be something in the fan so start be removing it and checking to see if you see anything floating around in the fan, if you have more question let me know if this have help please press the accept button .
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Roy,

Thanks for quick answer. If I don't quite follow the proper procedure, it's not me trying to be 'clever'. I thought the funds had already been transferred, and am now being asked for a Deposit, so am a bit confused. But don't worry, if there's any problem with you getting the funds, I guarantee you that you will have them before the end of my day (it's 4:25PM here in England). My phone is +44 (0)1487 773319, just so you have it.

Thanks again.

Bill

ok i am not sure how the deposit work but we will see
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Just checked and found that my PayPal account was debited twice. I think I got confused while going thru the process and thought that the still-active PayPal window meant that the first attempt to send the ££ wasn't successful. But you should have received one payment, certainly, and maybe you got both of them. I've asked JustAnswer to credit back one of them, so if you did get both (plus the £3 bonus I sent), please get the second £12 back to JustAnswer.

Sorry for all the confusion.

Bill

hi i only get one so if your request the second one back then just answer will give it back
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Just a note to update you on what's happened re my duplicated £12.00 payment.

JustAnswer (Gina) was kind enough to initiate a refund process for the duplicated £12.00 payment. I've been advised (yesterday) by PayPal that this is has been done and is going through the system. Unfortunately there must have been a misunderstanding within JustAnswer or between JA and PayPal because they also refunded the £3.00 bonus which I sent to you. I have told Gina that I want to make sure you receive the bonu, and if need be (and if you agree) I can send you a $US check (my native country) drawn on an account I have with Merrill Lynch. Whatever the procedure, if you didn't receive the bonus, you will certainly get it. If I send a cneck, it would be for $5.50, which is £3.00 at the current exchange rate.

Final chapter on the heater fan problem is that it was a little more involved to get at than your email described, but they got it out. Fan is totally enclosed in a rather large, heatsealed 'box'. They couldn't get at the fan itself except with long probes and one of those lighted 'scopes'. They couldn'g find a way to (try to) repair the noise without replacing the whole assembly, which would have been about $600 (£300) for the unit alone. I told them to forget it. While this was going on I had them look at the manifold, because I read in HonestJohn.co.uk that one of the problems with the X-Trail is that the manifold assembly tends to rust out, and the replacement is about $1500 because some computer stuff is also involved in the replacement. (They checked and there's significant red rust showing.) Given all this, and the not-really-economical mileage mine gets (30-30 mpg highway and 25-26 urban), and the CO2-emission-based increases I'm facing each year to get the car registered ('taxed' as they say here), I'm going to get rid of it and get something more economical - currently looking at a Ford Focus C-Max, which looks pretty good and would be an even swap and give me a 1-2 year newer car.

If you need to get in touch with me re the money, my details are:

Bill McGuinness

[email protected]

Phone (011) 44 1487 773319

ok thanks