Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

On an 86 4x4 with auto locking hubs the fornt end dosent engage

On an 86 4x4 with auto locking hubs the fornt end dosent engage when I shift to 4WD. What makes the front hubs engage? Where do i need to start looking
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

Hi there!You should start by removing the front hubs and cleaning them.Typically the grease gets so stiff inside and they can't engage properly.Hope this helps!

AUTO LOCK

See Figure 5

1. Raise the front of the vehicle and support the front axle on jackstands.
  2. Remove the wheels.
  3. Remove the locking hub cover using a Torx® wrench.
  4. Remove the the automatic free running hub with the O-ring spring and brake A.
  5. Remove the washers then remove the snapring.
  6. Remove the large snapring, lock washer and wheel bearing lock nut, using tool No. KV40104300, or its equivalent.

To install:

1. Install the wheel bearing locknut. Install a new lock washer and large snapring.
  2. Install the snapring and then the washers.
  3. Install the free running hub along with the brake and O-ring spring.
  4. Install the hub cover.
  5. Install the wheels, remove the stands and lower the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: Exploded view of the auto lock hub-1985-86 (720-D series)1986-88 (D21-D Series)
MANUAL LOCK

See Figure 6

1. Raise the front of the vehicle and support the front axle on stands.
  2. Remove the wheels.
  3. Set the knob of the manual lock to the FREE position.
  4. Remove the locking hub cover using a Torx® wrench, while the brake pedal is depressed.
  5. Remove the snapring and pull out the drive clutch.

To install:

1. Install the drive clutch and snapring. Make sure the hub is in the FREE position.
  2. Install the hub cover and tighten the bolts to 18-25 ft. lbs. (25-34 Nm).
  3. Install the wheels, remove the stands and lower the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: Exploded view of the manual lock hub-1986-88 (D21-D series)AUTO LOCK

See Figure 7

2. Remove the wheels.
  3. Set the knob of the auto lock to the FREE position.
  5. Remove the snapring.
  6. Remove washer B, washer A and brake B.

To install:

1. Make sure the hub is in the FREE position and then install washer B, washer A and brake B.
  2. Install the snapring.
  3. Install the hub cover and tighten the bolts to 18-25 ft. lbs. (25-34 Nm).
  4. Install the wheels, remove the stands and then lower the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Exploded view of the auto lock hub-1986-88 (D21-D series) Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: Removing the hub retaining bolts Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: Removing the housing cover Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 10: Removing the hub O-ring Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 11: Removing the hub snapring Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 12: View of the hub snapring Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 13: Removing the hub washer Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 14: Removing the hub washer Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 15: Removing the hub brake Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 16: Removing the hub bearing snapring Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 17: Removing the hub bearing lock washer Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 18: Removing the hub bearing locknut Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 19: View of the hub bearing locknut Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 20: Removing wheel bearing Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 21: Removing the front hub assembly

Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.