Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Right front wheel has a rattling noise when going over bumps.

Customer Question

Right front wheel has a rattling noise when going over bumps. Originally thought it was the strut and I replaced the front struts. The right strut was bad however the rattling noise did not go away. Also I replaced the sway bar bushing thinking that could be the problem however the noise still did not go away. Finally I disconnected the linkage and drove the car but that still did not get rid of the rattle, so now the only other thing I could think od is that the lower control arm bushing are bad. What do you think?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Noises are very tough over the net, but I can give you my thoughts. The rear bushing on the lower control arm, I have see make noise. I would also inspect the Power steering rack bushings also.

The noise you are hearing, is it over bumps, all the time? Can you duplicate the noise? If so, what do you do to duplicate it? If you turn the steering wheel side to side kinda quick, do you hear it?

Try to give me the best description you can, on how you hear the noise. The big thing is, can you make it do it. If so then tell me how. Noises are easier to figure out, if you can find the pattern on how to duplicate the noise. Once you figured out how to produce it, it makes it easier to find it.

Please let me know, and I will do my best to help you. Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Jay,
   The noise occurs over bumps all the time. No noise occurs when turning the wheel while driving or when idling while parked. It sounds like a metal on metal rattle. I have taken a pipe with a buddy of mine who was a mechanic for many years and we are not able to duplicate the noise while parked.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Have you inspected or replaced the upper strut mount?