Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2002 Nissan Maxima SE - service engine light is on and ...

Customer Question

2002 Nissan Maxima SE - service engine light is on and engine makes loud ticking noise, always when first started and intermittently during my drive. I have already spent $4,000 in various repairs on this car this year alone. Very grateful if you can explain the problem and the extent of cost to repair. The Nissan dealership I have been dealing with this year are completely unhelpful and cavalier about my problems and expenses this year. Thank you!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Did you have this problem before repairs? What did the repairs consist of?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to FixUrNissan's Post: I was having the problem during the time I was having all of the repair work done, however, it was only when accelerating at highway speeds. When I told the Nissan repair technicians, they advised I must always use premium grade gas (I had stopped using premium gas because of the high cost). I used premium grade fuel only and the ticking problem went away for several weeks, but 2 days after last round of repairs the service engine light came on again. I cannot don't have the specifics of the various repairs this year as I am emailing from work and that paperwork is at home. Would you prefer I emain this info to you tomorrow? If so, will I have to pay another $15 for your advice? Please let me know. Thanks!
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Well it sounds like what you may be hearing is a octain ping. It's a chattering sound from the engine under acceleration.

Do you have the code for your check engine light?

We can leave this thread open, so the information you want to give me, you would have to give me here. I can not except emails or phone calls, due to our terms and services.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to FixUrNissan's Post: Where/how do I find the code for the check engine light?
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
You will need a scan tool to read the code. Autozone I have hear can check it, and any auto repair place can check it also.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to FixUrNissan's Post: I will not be able to have the code scanned today. Can I get back to you?
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Sure, I'll be here. Just answer, on this thread
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need to provide additional information to the Nissan technician to enable him to help me. Unfortunately this involves getting me car to someone who can give me a code from the 'service engine soon' light. I have been unable to accomplish this yet, but, intend to provide the tech with this info just as soon as I can. Thank you.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.

I'll wait for your response, with the code so I can continue to assist you.

Thanks Jay!

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry there is no other way to read the codes stored in your car. I would love to tell you what code you have, but there are literally 100's of codes. Once I am given the code, I could give you a sense of direction of repairs, or what may be the cause. I understand your frustration, I am here to try to help. Giving me neutral feed back, reflects that I have not be helpful to you. I can not help with out all the information, meaning the code.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not planning on taking my car somewhere to have the service engine code checked. If I am going to do that I may just as well take it to a Nissan dealership. I understand that this info would be helpful for you to advise me, but, it is just too inconvenient. Thank you for your efforts and quick response. The only thing I need from you at this time is confirmation that you have received $15.00 fee I agreed to. Thank you.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.

I did receive it. Thank you. If you would like to try to reset the check engine light, you can disconnect the battery for 5 mins. If the light comes back on, then that would mean you have a fault in the system, and would need to be addressed. If the check engine light stays on solid. It is safe to drive. If it starts to flash, then that is a indication that the fault can do engine damage.

Thanks you for using JustAnswer.com

You do not need to press the accept button, since you already payed. Thanks Jay!