Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician

2000 nissan maxima engine cut-off at low rpm or comming to stop

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

When you say it is cutting off it will not idle at all or is it stalling sometimes? let me know ROY!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Roy's Post: when is cool, idle is ok. then after is has reach normal temp and fans are on, there no exact time when the engine will cut off, or after aXXXXX sudennly turns off. the idle sometimes goes slowly down from 800 to 500 rpm then lower untill shuts off
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

Ok!

You said you inspected the Idle speed control valve? was it raising the idle up with head lamps on or the A/C let me know, also does the check engine light come on?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Roy's Post: yes idle goes up when light are used, fan on or ac on...check light engine doesn't come on. the codes I got from a code reader only
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

Ok!

I know you said you checked the air flow meter, there is a replacement air flow meter and a reprogram for the maximas , have you inspected this, they will show a lean condition with a scan tool this would be an indecation of a bad air flow meter. I have replaced a lot of these for the maximas low idle and rough idle problems when warm Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi Roy, I haven't try or ispect air flow meter, doesn't show any codes related to this, however tell me how sould i check it. I don't have an other air flow meter available. just my snop-on scanner
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

Ok!

The way to inspect the air flow, they dont set a code what happens is the mixture goes to a lean condition, I monitor the alpha readings with a scan tool and the 02 sensors to see if it is lean. If it is,you will need the updated Air Flow and reprogram for the new meter,Thanks ROY!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi,
I did check air flow meter with the scanner. the voltage is within range. 1.7 v idle max 4.0 hight rpm. Then i check the alpha B1 shows 75% and B2 75% ; O2 B1= max .89 mv and O2 B2 only 69 mv. I replece again the O2 B2 with the old one and the reading are close to 90 which is olmost with spec. ....but still dieng suddenly.; I che the harness, no change. The last thing I did was check for vacumms and I notice that with a open vacumm doesn't cuts-off....I not sure what is the problem
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

If you create a vac. leak the engine runs better? let me know. ROY!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes engine runs better, of course the idle is above 1300 rpm but doesn't die
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

The engine is running to rich if loading up with fuel , I would check the fuel pressure regulator make sure the is no fuel in the vacuum line as if the diaphragm could have broken letting fuel go into intake, Also check to see if fuel pressure leaks down when sitting like an injector hanging open not seating letting fuel into the cylinders

. I wish we had a good air flow meter to hook up some times they show good and still are bad. one more thing to inspect is make sure the EGR valve is seating all the way not hanging up, This would also cause a rough idle and stalling . Thanks ROY!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Roy, thans for you help. I'LL check tomorow and let you know what I found.

Benjamin
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

OK! Benjamin

Let me know, ROY!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi,
Well, I chech vacumm lines for any sign of gas and nothing, at the fuel pressure regulator seems to be ok.... one thing I notice is that when I fist stared the engine, runs great, all data in the scanner is normal, alpha is within spec...and there is a valve under the intake,at the front of the engine, I think is call swig or something like that, but the thing is when this one opens, when the car is cold, runs great...after stars warming and the valve is closing, the car is missing...then I check the vacum operation for this valve and there is two lines that connect to the selenoids. I took then apart from the intake and I found signs of oil & water which make thing that this valves are not working or got stock for this oil & wter...What do you think?
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

I am not sure what valve you are talking about, if the is water and oil in it I dont think it is working. If you have a misfire warm , you will need to figure out what cylinder is misfiring unplug each coil one at a time when warm to see what cylinder is not changing, this will tell us where to go to figure this out. Thanks ROY!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi,
The valve I was refering to is swirl control valve.(which is control by selenoids; contoled by pcm) and not too sure this operates because only when is cold does open. then when its warm it closes back...any way I did took apart the intake to check it and was just a litle oil, I cleaned and place back..I also change the pvc valve that it look bad.. Then I started the engine and same thing, still cutting off. I keep checking the air flow meter and it shows normal operation, but I know is something to do with air because when I created a vacumm,(disconected one of the intake hoses) the alpha goes in the 90% and doesn't cut-off......I'm tinking air controlvalve and air flow meter is possible both are bad?
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

I have replaced a few ISC idle speed control valves , what also happens when they go bad it can short out the ECM and not allow it to idle correctly

what I do is try to set the valve with our scan tool to adjust base idle and it will not set and idle will vary . This is what happens when they go bad. I dont know if your tool will do this inspection. Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!