Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 starting problems

Customer Question

Daughter purchased a new 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 Dec. 2007. Car has been flawless up to 11,000 miles, now it has a starting problem. Button pushing does nothing. It was towed to the dealer and they said it was not recognizing the remotes. They replaced the remotes and reprogramed them. They supposedly kept the car one extra day and made numerous attempts in stating and it passed with flying colors. She picked up the car, and the next morning, it would not start. It is back at the dealer and since they have given her a loaner, I don''t care how long it takes, we just want it fixed. My limited experience with cars and computers, I would think if it doesn''t recognize the remotes, it could very well be a computer malfunction (memory) rather than the remotes. (It did not recognize either remote, even the one that is a spare and not used) The assistant service manager is puzzeled as well as the tech. on what to do next. I am afraid we will get it back and it will fail once again.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Since you are not the one working on the car, and just looking to see what may be wrong. I can give you some idea's since we have seen a few weird starting problems on 08 altimas. I have seen no response from the fob caused by the unified meter, also the Key inserting switch. The unified meter, will not set a code or a can problem. But you will find some components in the can system not listed on the scan tool when logging into the car components test. I am not there to fully see what your car is doing, to see if what i have seen is the same as the way your car is acting. Either way, the dealer should be able to figure it out.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No help whatsoever. Sorry I even tried this site.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.
I am sorry you feel that way. I was just offering what I have seen. 2008 Models Altima are very advanced in performing diagnostic, to find problems. I have 17 years with Nissan, I was simply trying to offer what I have seen on the 2008 Models I have seen no start problems. I don't know if you understood what I was explaining, but at the same time, if the problem you are having is what I have seen. Then Nissan doesn't know much about it either yet. I have had 3 Altima's that had problems like you are describing. I found it to be the unified meter ( the cluster controller ). That is what I have found.

As I said, I am sorry you feel this has been not help. I will opt out.

Hope the dealer fixes the car right for you.

Thanks Jay!