Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

Nissan quest: i did a major tuneup ( rotor, wires, fuel filter, plugs

hi, my nissan quest 2000 keeps shutting off when i''m waiting at the light. i did a major tuneup ( rotor, wires, fuel filter, plugs, oil.etc..) and still no change !!! what else can cause this problem?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using

Do you have a check engine light on?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
not always---intermittent
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.
Have you ever been able to get the code when it was on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i forget to mantion that just before it shuts off the car seems to idle hard and "jerks".
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.
I have a couple ideas, but you never told me if you got the code when the check engine light was on.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the mechanic said that it's some kind of miss- firing code and that the problem points to "stop and go" sensors?
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.

My first thought was cam sensor, witch is part of your distributor. That can cause intermittent stalls, when your at a light or even driving. It will turn on a check engine light. That is what delivers spark to each spark plug. It could give you that misfire code. If it is failing can cause all kind of interment issues. I would recommend you start there. They have been known to fail.

If you have any more questions on this topic, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay