Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

94 pathfinder: v6.

Customer Question

my son has a 94 pathfinder which the starter went out. It has a v6. I replaced the starter after having the parts place test it first. They said it was bad.   I put in a new starter and the car started fine twice. My son took off in the car and called me from the local store and said that he turned the key off and the motor was still running. I hurried down there and open the hood and the motor was not running but the starter motor was but was not turning over the motor. I disconnected the battery and the starter stopped. I now reconnect the battery and the starter motor spins but does not turn over the engine and will not stop spinning unless I disconnect the battery. When I bought the starter it recommended replacing the inhibitor relay which I bought, big blue box but can''t find one in the engine compartment like this. Could this have anything to do with my problem. Also, I was just wondering is it normal to be able to push the vehicle with the transmission in drive or reverse
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for using

Is this an automatic or manual?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to FixUrNissan's Post: automatic, just wanting to clarify, with no key in the ignition if you reconnect battery starter motor spins but does not engage at all.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.

Well The relay you are looking for is located on the driver side, under hood. See imagegraphic

Here is a wiring diagram of the Starting system if this will help. It almost sounds like you may have a bad ignition switch. You may want to unplug the signal wire to the starter so you can run some tests.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to FixUrNissan's Post: sorry Im not getting this but the relay the parts place sold me is about twice the size of any relays in engine bay and is blue , part number 25230 89981. Where you told me to look there are 2 relays ,1 gray 1 blue next to each other half the size of the new one I have . Are there different relays 4 this car?When I reconnect the negative terminal the starter spins, but the bendix do not engage and the negative terminal arcs strong. Did I ruin this starter? Also I previously asked about the tranny. When in drive or reverse should I be able to push the vehicle by hand. It does this now wondering if this problem is related. Thanks XXXXX
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.

The big double looking relay is for a manual transmission. I would start by unpluging the trigger wire at the starter, so it won't spin. Not the 12mm nut, the plug. Do you have a test light? or a Voltmeter? I can walk you through some checks if you have both of those tools.

It does sound like you may have burnt the starter. & Yes you can push the car while in gear, it's just tougher.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can get a voltmeter and I have a 12v test light if you can walk me through this . I am not good on the schematics as I am a cabinet builder / cnc operator by trade. I am ok on the mechanical, sketchy on the electrical. I took the double blue relay back exchanged it for a single gray relay box. When I bought the starter It had a sticker recommending replacememt of the inhibitor relay.Since the part number it called for was for a manual tranny is it possible the starter was 4 a manual tranny or are they the same starter? By the way are the starter relay and inhibitor relay the same thing . I purchased a starter relay. Thanks Dean Nichols
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.
Great that would help knowing that. I would locate that relay and ohm it out, see if it's stuck on. We can try that first. It should be a blue or gray relay. Ohm that and let me know how the relay checks out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have the new relay. I ohmed it out as follows:
terminal 5 to 3 = 0
Terminal 1 to 2 = 60.2
Terminal 2 to 3 = 0
Terminal 1 to 5 = 0

The old relay ohmed as follows:
terminal 5 to 3 = 0
terminal 1 to 2 = 74.8
terminal 2 to 3 = 0
terminal 1 to 5 = 0

All these readings are with Radio Shack Ohm meter gauge set at 200. Please advise. Thank you.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.

Now with the relay unpluged check voltages at the relay connector. Key off test, then Key on test. This will tell us where the voltage is coming from to keep that starter going. Tracing electric problems is like being a detective.

Tell me wire colors also, please.

This is sounding like it may need an ingition switch.