Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

98 i30: evap..canister i reset the check engine light..getting code

Customer Question

i got 98 i30 i was gettin codes po450 & po1463 so i pick up a new evap canister & purge valve that connects to evap canister i reset the check engine light and it came back up but i am getting code p1493 what should be my next step
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using

I have seen evap canisters blow up an contaminate the evap system. I would disconnect the hose under the hood to the canister, an blow it out and make sure there is no debree in it. There are 2 other components you can check ( see Image ). I would also double check hoses, to make sure none are broken.

If you have any more questions about this please feel free to ask. Thanksgraphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how can i check to see if those sensors are working right can i run power to them
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i also changed the plastic check valve today and the other sensor by the canster but i am still getting the 1493 code
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.
Do you have a voltmeter? I can have you check the purge control solenoid. Did you check the purge control solenoid? Did you remove the evap line under the hood & the canister and blow it out, to make sure there wasn't any debree?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i removed all the debree from the evap line and checked the solenoid by connected to the battery it seems to workin ok i reset the engine light once again but it can back within 5 mins
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.
Are you able to check voltages? Do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to FixUrNissan's Post: yes i do
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I also disconnected the purge control valve with had debris and clean it out. And yes I have a voltmeter
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
this is everything i replaced evap canster,evap canister vent control valve,pressure sensor,plastic check valve and the vacuum cut valve so i have replaced everything in the back end of the car.

also 2 let u know the first code i was getting was a po450 so i replaced the canister and canister vent control valve the i reset the light and the following day got code 1446 so i replaced the check valve and the vacumm cut valve and once again reset the light. i am getting p1493 and i cleaned out all the evap line debris in them..
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.

Well there is a test using the nissan scan tool to activate the purge control solenoid, and close the evap system so you can pressure check it. But that involves using the dealer scan tool.

You said you had tested the solenoid and it is working. Did you blow through the valve to make sure the air does not go through went on or off? The only thing I could think of is that the Ecm controls that solenoid. If the Ecm calls for that valve to purge, and the signal does not make it, then it could throw that code. The next step would be to ohm the wires from the Purge control solenoid to the Ecm to make sure the wires are good. Here is a diagram. I know you said you had checked, double check fuses. There is a fuse for that purge control solenoid. If it's blown it will throw that code when the Ecm calls for it.graphicIf you have a local mechanic, that has a smoke machine. That is also another way to find out where the evap pressure is being lost. It is to my understanding that we are trying to avoid shop labor costs. But you may be at the point where more tools that shops have may be needed. I will continue to help you with as much information I can give you and any diagrams you would need. But keep in mind. There may be more tools needed to correct this.

Red/Yellow wire & Blue/Yellow wire are the wire colors you need to check.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sorry to keep brothering u but do u know of any ecm updates for fake evap code cause i have tried everything and still have this code coming back all wire checked out ok also rechecked the fuses
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how can i check to see if evap purge volume control valve that is the only sensor that i did not test
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.
There may be another situation I was hoping it may not come to. There is a bulletin about wires braking in the harness. That is why I am saying you may need a dealer to run system checks. If you tested the solenoid and it works that doesn't mean that not the problem. Because you put 12v to it and it works, thats great. But can the computer doing that? It may be trying but signal may not be received. That is why I was going to recommend taking it to the dealer. There scan tool can run active tests to those components. Turn them on and off, almost like applying the 12v. But it's seeing if the Ecm can doing it. Another test is, pressure checking the evap system and smoke testing to see where the system is purging to. I just think we are running out of tests and more tools are needed
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i check all the wires from every sensor and everything check out ok. i also got a local shop to smoke the system and there was no leaks. but i think i got the problem to go away i changed the fuse number 17 even tho it was not broken and the check engine has not came back on and the car passed inspection today
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i was juss letting u know juss in case u ever come across the problem. and thank for all ur help
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.
Glad you got it. Thank you for using