Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

How do I find top dead center for #1 cylinder when the ...

How do I find top dead center for #1 cylinder when the timing marks don''t line up on a 1984 300zx non-turbo
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.

Hello, Finding top dead center is not that hard. All you will need to do is remove spark plug for cylinder number one. With a long screw driver, place it into cylinder. Turn the crank bolt and you will see screw driver move up or down ( keep one hand on screw driver, and keep it straight, or it could get stuck ) you can watch it come all the way up, to find top dead center. Double check the crank, timing marks should also be visible.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to FixUrNissan's Post: The timing marks on the crankshaft are facing down towards the bottom of the motor when #1 cylinder is fully up. I am trying to remove the timing cover to replace seals. The haynes manuals said #1 should be TDC, but #6 lines up closest to the zero mark for TDC. Will this misalign the camshaft markings if #6 is used instead of #1
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.
Make sure your checking the right cylender. Cylinder # XXXXX when standing in front of the car is on your left. The closest to the front of the engine. Yes The timing mark on the crank with be at around 5'O clock, towards the bottom, the top cam marks will be around 1'O clock. I have an image I can give you when I get home in 40 mins if you would like.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to FixUrNissan's Post: I would appreciate a picture. The timing marks are facing down but I don't seem to have any camshaft markings
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to FixUrNissan's Post: the drawings are much better than what I have. thank you. My problem can I remove the damper before ensuring #1 TDC?
Expert:  Jay replied 8 years ago.

Yes you can remove the crank balancer. After you removed it you can use the crank bolt and washer, and find another some what thick washer. You can put that bolt back on to help align the timing marks.

Remember you are going to need another thick washer with the crank bolt. Failure to do that can crack the tip of the crank. It's just to make up the gap difference with out the balancer