Dale, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan Hiteq technician, 11 years nissan trained

Nissan: airbag light..year 2000 stays on - any suggestions..connector

Customer Question

airbag light on nissan micra 1.0s year 2000 stays on - any suggestions on how to fix this without going to the dealer? I have heard about a possible connector contact fix but don''t know where this is.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dale replied 8 years ago.

The connectors that go faulty are on the new micra k12 not the old shape k11, If the local garage could not read the fault it suggets no communication to the air bag ecu is the light flashing or staying on permanantley? have you checked the air bag fuses? this is a quick easy thing to check before going to a dealer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Dale,
Thank you for your response. The light stays on all the time. I have not checked the airbag fuse. Would I be able to find out which fuse it is from the manual or the fuse box inside the car?

many thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi again,
I have now checked and replaced the airbag fuse with a spare one in the fuse box compartment which did not make any difference.
Expert:  Dale replied 8 years ago.

An air bag light which stays illuminated all the time could mean a few things these are Air bag and/or seat belt pre-tensioner has been deployed or air bag fuse, diagnosis sensor unit(air bag ecu) or harness is malfunctioning. you can also put your car into diagnosis mode for the air bag and it will give you a flash code i'll run you through how to do it.

1. Turn ignition switch on 2. After air bag warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, Turn ignition switch off within 1 second. 3. Wait more than 3 seconds 4. Repeat steps 1-3 three times 5. Turn ignition switch on

This should put you diagnosis mode it will then give you a flash code which are quite difficult to explain i can fax you the page if you have a fax number or explain it to me and i'll try and match it up. If for some reason it won't go into diagnosis mode it may have to go on a nissan consult computer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dale's Post: I can try what you suggested but where do I read the code from?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I tried what you suggested twice but unfortunately did not get any code on the (mileage) digital LCD display.
Expert:  Dale replied 8 years ago.
The code will come from the air bag light it will start flashing at you in a sequence of flashes and gaps where it doesn't flash.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I tried it again and I did not get any lights flashing. The air bag light just stays on.
Expert:  Dale replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunataly without a flash code or a computer fault code there is not too much more i can do because i can't guide you to a certain area. It looks like it may have to be a trip to your local nissan dealer. If you do manage to get a flash code from following the sequence i have give you i will be more than happy to help you furthur.