Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

I have a 1995 nissan pickup manual transmisson with 2.4L ...

I have a 1995 nissan pickup manual transmisson with 2.4L and I have already posted this question monday 5/19/08 and got a answer , but I changed the part and still same thing, when you crank the truck you have to pump the gas to get it to run at all and it skips , and then seems to bog down and die, but as long as you keep pumping the gas it will run rough -with no idle at all , if you take your foot off the gas it will die
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there!The truck won't idle at all?Do you have a check engine light on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No engine light on and it does work because, when you turn the key it lights briefly
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
OK.There are 2 main problems I see with these trucks that may cause the problem you are describing.First is the egr valve,make sure it is not stuck open,even slightly.It creates a hughe vaccum leak and I have seen several with this problem.The other is what I would see as less likley because you have no check engine light,however can be a culprit as well and that is the distributor.Being that you have no light the only real way to test this is to look at it through the eyes of a scan tool.With a scan tool you can look at the timing and if it fluctuates,chances are the distributor is going south.Now,you may be able to watch the timing with a timing light but I have never tried it and I don't think you would be able to get the truck to run long enough to do it.I think I would have to start with checking that egr valve.Hope this helps!Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I remove the valve and clean with cleaner , or can I put a vaccum on valve to see if working or can I plug off a vaccum line to check?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
The egr on this is nasty to get at to remove.I would put a vaccum pump on it,put my finger under it and pull a vaccum.It should move up.The problem with this tes of course is opening isn't the problem.Closing is.If your pump can switch from vaccum to pressure you might be able to pull a vaccum and if it stays up,push it back down with pressure.Please reply if that's not clear enough.I can see it in my head but it might not be clear.Let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is also a remote mounted EGR solenoid with wires and vacuum lines hooked to it could that also be bad, because I have put alot of money in it now to just change parts, will a code reader show anything or will I have to take to dealer, I have a OBDII scanner but it wont work on this year of coarse. When you said distributor you mean the pickup or the whole unit
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Yes the egr solinoid could be bad.That is fairly easy to check,disconnect the vaccum hose from the egr and see if it is producing vaccum with the truck running.You should NOT feel any vaccum unless the rps are around 2,500 to 3,000.If you have vaccum at anything less then that it has a problem.As for the distributor,thats where the cam sensor is and it has to be serviced as a unit.If the check engine light isn't on,there are no stored codes so it won't help at this point.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
with the symtoms described would you lean towards EGR or ignition at this point. Is the cam sensor what goes bad in distribtor or replace entire distributor? Could fuel pressure have anything to do with this? and also to keep truck running you have to keep above 2500Rpms for it to even try to run
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
First,I am leaning towards the egr being stuck open.I am not saying run out and buy an egr.Test the theory first.The cam sensor is the component that goes bad in the distributor,but you have to replace the entire distributor.The cam sensor is not servicable.Fuel pressure seems unlikley.Sounds like major vaccum leak somewhere.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for all your help I will accept now so you can get paid, if i need to reach you again how do i do so thanks Jason
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
You can either reply here or request on a new post.I will be around and good luck to you!
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.