Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician

2001 nissan maxima: p0171..lean bank..the O2 sensor was..left bank

Customer Question

I have a 2001 nissian maxima I had a code p0171 system to lean bank 1. I was told that the O2 sensor was bad on the left bank. I replaced both the left and right side O2 sencors. I also found a ground jumper broken from the frame to the catalic confertor. I did not repair this. I will when i get a die to clean the treads and put a new wire terminal on. I drove the car and everything was fine and no codes came up. I tried the car today and now I have another code p0155 O2 sensorHeater circuit malfunction (Bank2 sensor 1). I want to know what now do i do and does the ECM need to be reset.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

For the 2001 maxima there is a bulletin for a reprogram for the 02 sensors after replacement to update the control unit. the # XXXXX (NTB02-002) for the bulletin repair.

I think this will fix your problem, I hope this helps, ROY!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Roy's Post: so I have to return the car to the dealer for reprograming or can I just disconnect the computer and let it relearn
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

The reprogram comes from nissan, only the dealer has this ECM reprogram for your Control unit. they have to down load it into there scan tool and install it into your car.

Thanks again! ROY