Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of automotive Repair
7276279

HOW DO I CLEAN AN EVAP CANISTER PURGE VALUME CONTROL VALVE

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Hi WALdropBLANCA.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

From your discription this sounds like a drop in fuel pressure. I would start with replacing the fuel filter if you havnt already done so.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
changed fuel filter will idle put in gaer starts to go then loses power almost stalls
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The next step is to run a fuel pressure test. Normal fuel pressure is 34 to 43 PSI.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I do this?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
You will need a fuel pressure gage that you can hook to the line from the fuel filter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What are the symptoms of a fuel pump going out?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Hard start, hesitations, loss of power and or no start.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This actually sounds exactly like what it is doing. Do you have a fuel pump part number for a 1.6 liter 1997 nisssan sentra
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The Factory part number is XXXXX and it list for $257.00
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there an oem place that could possibly have it any cheaper. Like o'reilys, napa, autozone, etc
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Yes its likely available any one of these an usually they are cheaper then the dealer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you have any directions on how I would put the fuel pump in this model of car
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

There is an access hole under your rear seat.

Download here

Download here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so it is not necessary for me to drop the gas tank and all that. I can just replace the fuel pump with the instructions that you have sent me?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
No you have the easy one, just pop the bottom of the back seat out and the access hole is right there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It says i am to release the fuel pressure first. How do I go about doing this?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
If the car hasnt been ran in a while there will not be enough pressure to worry about.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is only been run about 5 or ten minutes this morning. It is arount5:30pm no will it be there be any to worry about.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
No you dont have anything to worry about.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay, the fuel pump seems to be housed in some type of box or housing thing. How do we get it out of the houseing. We see it. It is kind of sitting like a missle ready for launch. The pump is slanted like ready for take off sitting on the housing but then they are also connected somehow. Any advice on how to seperate the two. Also the pump we got said that there is no screen necessary but for our model it says that there should be a screen included. Which is right? Necessary or not
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
You usually have to by the screen separate, I have never done an after market pump on one of these but in most case the have plastic tabs that unsnap to acces the pump.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you have any diagrams that you could possibly send me so i don't unsnap the wrong thing
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Try this.

DOWNLOAD

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you happen to have the part number for a fuel pump casket o ring seal
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
No that should have come with the pump ,sorry I dont have the number.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay so we did all that, replaced the fuel pump and screen all went well....until we put it back together. All went back together until we tied to put the o ring back in place for the access point gas tank. It is a black rubber o-ring about 4-6 inches in diam. but it seems like it has stretched like a quarter of an inch of and is now too big. How do i find this o-ring in order to replace it. Went to some OEM replacement part places and no one seems to have it. They think it may be a nissan dealer part. Do you happen to have the part number?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
I dont have the part number but it is going to have to come from the dealer as the old ones swell and cant be reused. It should have come with the new pump.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, I got the new o'ring and got that in but now I have one more question. When I was replacing the o'ring there was a piece that come out off the gas tank that fell back in there. It was like a connector piece. It fell directly in the gas. Will that matter when rehooking it back up to pieces that are sitting in the gas tank already. I was unsure if when you connect the connector to its housing area if it was actually protected from the gas and when I turn the car on if it would create a fire hazard or not
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
No the pump is emerged in fuel as you should be ok.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay. So we changed the fuel pump and got that all working good. The car started. I took it for a test drive. It started doing thhe same. Trying to staull, bog down. I came back home, parked the car and now it wont start. Advice on what to do next
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Are you getting fuel, and do you have spark?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No fire. And when I tried to start it it acts like it wants to start but after I turn the key back I can hear like a wheel of some kind grinding
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Run this test for a no spark condiation,

Check to make sure the two wire connector for the distributor is not swapped with the 2 wire connector for the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor (usually occurs after engine work has been performed). The CKP sensor wire colors are White and Black. The two wire distributor connector wire colors should be Black/Red (or Black/White) and Green (or Blue).

Verify battery voltage on both wires in the two wire distributor connector with it plugged in and back probing and check for a pulse on coil negative (Green or Blue wire) while cranking.

. Check the voltage on the White/Black signal wire to the base of the power transistor on the end of the 6 wire distributor connector - look for 0.1 volt or less key on and about 0.4 - 0.6 volts cranking - no scope available.

. Verify the power transistor ground is good on the Black wire in the 6 wire distributor connector next to the White/Black wire - look for 0.05 volts or less key on and cranking.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
wiring is fine. Is there any chance that plug wires could have went bad. Because like I said it was just running like 10 minutes ago. Will plug wires going out make it do this. I need HELP!!
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
No its not likely spark plug wires, are you sure the timing belt isnt broken and the dist rotor isnt turning. Pop the cap off nad spin the engine and see if the dist is turning.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like it is turning but it almost sounds like a grinding noise. Would the belt being broken make it have this sound?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Yes it could, a quick check is remove the dist cap and see if the rotor is turning.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay. Everything seems to be turning fine on that. One thing I have noticed that the EVAP CANISTER PURGE VALUME CONTROL VALVE seems to make a buzzing sound and has since the car broke down
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Try unplugging it, and see if the spark come back.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay. Tried that and have no spark or firing whatsoever. Next.....Or do you have any kind of diagram for the firing system. I mean give me what you think of course, I just thought it would also save time if I checked everything within the firing system but if that is not necessary that would be great
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The test I sent you a few response ago will check to see why there is no spark.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay so what you are saying is that it will not be something I will be able to fix, it will have to go on a diagnostic. There is a litt round barrell piece that connects to the wires that connect to the distributor plate that the bug and cap connect to what is that part and would that have anything to do with it is that the coil and if so could that also be a problem
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
It could be the coil, crank shaft sensor, and or dist. I cant guess from here. You need to do the test I sent you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay so where is the coil connected on the vehicle. Is it connected to the distributor cap plate. If not, where is it located on this vehicle?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

The coil is built into the dist see the picture Im sending.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so in order to replace the coil, you have to replace that whole piece? if so, i have already done that and the rotor bug, had fire before we put in the fuel pump like i said earlier, as soon as we replaced the fuel pump the car started right up but than idled for about 5 minutes and than started missing and than i tried to take it for a test drive, did good at first and than started to bog down, if you feathered the gas pedal it would keep running but if you pushed down on the exceellorator like down to the floor it immediately started to shut itself down you can barely use any of the pedal to keep it going than it died and has not started since and has no fire
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Well run the test I sent you and lets see what come up
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am just at home doing the repairs on my daughters car. What can i use to do such a test?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
You will need a 12 volt test light or a voltmeter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay, i got some help. I just need a wiring diagram for a 7 Nissan Sentra, Please
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Which diagram do you need?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wiring diagram for the ignition wiring where it plugs into the distributor plate where they connect. He said he needs to see what the sequence is
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need the definition of code P1445?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If an electronic ignition modual goes out would that cause the car to not have any spark
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need the definition of code P1445?If an electronic ignition modual goes out would that cause the car to not have any spark
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Verify battery voltage on the two Red wires at the Canister Purge Volume Control Valve (CPVCV).

With the CPVCV unplugged, check resistance of the windings in the valve, from the center terminal in each row, to the outside terminals in each row. It should be approximately 30 ohms.

. Check continuity of the wires between the ECM and the CPVCV. Also check the wires for a short to ground.

Check the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Pressure Sensor voltage on the White wire. Specification is 3.3 to 3.4 volts key on engine off.

Then run the engine and see if the pressure sensor voltage drops, indicating there is purge flow occurring in the system.

. Check for a leaking CPVCV.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would this be the cause of the possible buzzing sound that has been going on since the vehicle went down?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Im not sure as you wont do the test I have sent you so I am opting out as maybe someone else can help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well i have a guy coming tonight to do the test around 5 so after we do the test than i can get back to you. He just wanted me to ask you those questions. So i will tell him what you said, we will run the test and than get back to you