Shimell
Shimell, Nissan and ASE Master technician
Experience:  18 years with Nissan. Nissan and ASE master technician with advanced ASE certification.

1998 nissan altima: running fine...sit in drive

Customer Question

1998 nissan altima ...was running fine...sit in drive overnight and now will spin over but fails to start
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shimell replied 6 years ago.

ok, we ned to do a couple of test, "car will not start" is pretty general.

is there any oil leaking from out of the distributor?

is there fuel pressure?

when you spin it over , remove one of the plug wires and hold it close to the engine and let me know if thee is spark.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
dead head fuel pressure at filter oulet is 65psi...no oil leaking...do have spark
Expert:  Shimell replied 6 years ago.

does it spin over fast? or slow?

it could just be flooded.

here is how to get it started when it is flooded.

remove the fuel pump fuse, it is fuse #17graphic

with the fuse removed but in your hand and ready to reinstall, turn the engine over with your foot on the gas pedal about 1/2 way, turn it over and over for about 30 seconds if it starts to fire in that 30 seconds reinstall the fuse while still spinning over engine and while you have your foot on the gas.

let me know if this works.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Shimell's Post: have 65 psi fuel pressure....have spark...and no oil leaks...finally got started but does not bwant to accelerate properly
Expert:  Shimell replied 6 years ago.

first check to see if the intake gasket is leaking. while it is running spray carburetor cleaner around the intake gasket and listen for the idle to change. pay close attention to cyl#4 intake runner. that is where they usually leak.

if that does not pan out, try the following.

check the airflow meter.

you can do this by removing it and spraying the element with brake cleaner. then let it dry and reinstall it. see how it runs then. this cleans the hot wire element.