Ask Infiniti Nissan Specialist Your Own Q...
Infiniti Nissan Specialist
Infiniti Nissan Specialist, ASE master technician
Experience:  Infiniti Nissan specialist. ASE Master technician. 25+ years general automotive experience
6946944

I have a 2000 Nissan Altima with the vehicle immobilizer ...

I have a 2000 Nissan Altima with the vehicle immobilizer system. I removed the battery cables to clean corrosion and now the immobilization system will not allow the engine to start. I read through the owners manual and the security light will not glow for the 20 second interval prior to the security light blinking every 3 seconds.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Infiniti Nissan Specialist replied 8 years ago.
Does the engine crank at all (turn over with the starter)?
If so, is the security light on solid during cranking?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The engine will crank and the security light luminates solid while cranking.
OK, the immobilizer system is in lock mode. Sometimes cycling the key will bring it out of lock mode. Turn the key to the on position for 5 seconds, then off for 5 seconds for 5 times or more then recheck.
If that doesn't work you may be able to reset the control unit by removing both battery cables and touching them together for a few seconds. This procedure drains the control unit capacitors and they revert to their prelearned values.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The engine will crank and the security light lumintes solid while crankin.
If you have another key try it first after cycling it like I previously mentioned.
If neither of those worked, you'll have to have the vehicle towed to a dealer or shop that can diagnose the immobilizer system using a consult II scan tool and the appropriate software.