Ethan Andrews
Ethan Andrews, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Mechanic
6553007

The serpentine belt on my 99 Nissan Quest squeals for ...

The serpentine belt on my 99 Nissan Quest squeals for 10 minutes after I start in the morning then the noise stops. Anything easy I can do?

The belt squeels because it is either loose or glazed, if it's been doing this often then I would say it is probably glazed and should be replaced. When replacing the belt you may also want to replace the automatic tensioner. If it is not putting enough tension on the belt it will be slightly loose, which will cause the new belt to squeel and then become glazed.

Belt dressing (in aerosol can) will silence the belt, but that is a temporary fix at best.

The best thing you can do is just replace the belt and tensioner if needed.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What does 'glazed' mean? How do I check the belt tension - does this mean any give at all? Thanks!
Glazed is when the belt looks slightly shiny, and the belt is smoother than it should be, causing it to slip and squeel. It's a little difficult to explain. The belt tension should have a small amount of give, but not enough so that it will flop around while the engine is running, again hard to explain, but you should have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of play between pulleys, depending on the distance between pulleys, smaller distance needs less play, longer distance will have a little more play.