CERTIFIED
CERTIFIED, Auto technician
Experience:  A.S.E certified as Master auto Technician and Advanced Engine Performance Over 25 years experience
6246978

Turn signal..the steering colum now the parking lights come..brakes

i just changed the turn signal on the steering colum now the parking lights come on when i hit the brakes
Category: Nissan
Expert:  CERTIFIED replied 7 years ago.

Hello ,

What makes you say the parking lights are coming on?

Could it be the front turn signals instead?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to CERTIFIED's Post: no. the front and back parking lights come on
Expert:  CERTIFIED replied 7 years ago.

How about the license plate light, does that come on?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to CERTIFIED's Post: no. just the park lights. i had to crack open the steering colum to change out the turn sign handle and i have heard that this can be a security deal incase it has been stolen. also, the brake lights stay on all the time when the lights are on.
Expert:  CERTIFIED replied 7 years ago.

OK, if your not seeing the license plate light then what you are seeing is the turn signal lights. They share the same bulbs, just a different filiment. If you were really seeing the parking lights, you would also the the license plate light becaiuse they are all connected. they is really no relationship between the brake lights and the parking lights except at the bulbs anyway.

the problem is in either the turn signal switch or the related wiring coming up the column. If you didn't pinch the wiores somewhere, then it has to be a bad turn signal switch. The brake lights and turn signals come together inside that switch and it's entirely possible to end up with a problem like that.

It's always possible that you could have the wrong switch or the plug for it is wired wrong.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i te that back, the license plate lights are coming on, i just checked again and i couldn't see them cuz its 1 o'clock in the after noon here. sorry for the mix up. what now?
Expert:  CERTIFIED replied 7 years ago.

OK, if your sure that light is on, then the only place it can happen is in one of the tail lights. either the plug is shorted or the wires are shorted together somewhere.

There is nothing in the turn signal switch that's tied to the parking lights.

You'll have to prop the brake pedal on and start disconnecting the rear lights and remove the bulbs one at a time until those front lights go out.

If you need a wiring diagram for color codes, I'll need the year, make, model and engine size and I'll see if I can get you one.

CERTIFIED, Auto technician
Experience: A.S.E certified as Master auto Technician and Advanced Engine Performance Over 25 years experience