Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2001 Nissan Maxima: serpentine belt..release..tension..the pulley

i am trying to replace the serpentine belt on my 2001 Nissan Maxima but don't know how to release the tension on the pulley
to get old one off. Can anyone help me?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 years ago.

Hi there! If you look at the belt from the side,there is an idler pulley next to the the alternator.Loosen the nut on the center,do not take it all the way off,then go to the top side of the engine,you can see a 14mm post.put the socket on the post and loosen,the pulley will slide up so you can slide the belt off of it.Hope this helps!Thanks This is an older version but I thought the pictures might help you out a bit...

1. At the top of the idler pulley for the air conditioner, there is a bolt which is used to either raise or lower the pulley. To free the bolt for adjustment, it is necessary to loosen the locknut in the face of the idler pulley.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Loosen the mounting bolt just enough to allow the adjustment bolt to properly tension the belt

1. Loosen the idler pulley's mounting bolt.

2. Turn the adjusting bolt to adjust the belt tension.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: After the tension is set with the adjustment bolt, tighten the mounting bolt and check the that the tension hasn't changed