Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Rear differential seal leaking. Does the whole rear frame

Customer Question

rear differential seal leaking. Does the whole rear frame assembly need to be replaced or just the seal. 2013 FX 37
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: only 37k miles, hoses are good. but this is a rear differential problem not a hose problem
JA: Are you fixing your FX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, just noticed the leak
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 13 days ago.
Hi welcome to just answers my name is***** the leak in the front or rear of the differential
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Rear, looks like the rear frame seal that attaches to the differential. Dark black gluid
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Fluid
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Prior expert did not answer my question
Expert:  Jay replied 13 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is it the front pinion seal on the rear diff or is it a axle seal that is leaking?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
IT IS THE REAR CROSS MEMBER WITH THE BUSHING BEHIND THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL. I THINK THIS IS ALSO CALLED THE REAR FRAME ASSEMBLY. THERE IS A OIL FILLED SEAL AROUND THE BUSHING AND IT IS LEAKING.
Expert:  Jay replied 12 days ago.

Oh, yes, those bushings are liquid filled. So the rear sub frame would need to be replaced for that issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 12 days ago.

I have heard some shops can press out the old bushing and insert a new bushing. But it's not recommended on a aluminum subframe. But either way, the subframe would need to be removed.

Expert:  Jay replied 12 days ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!