Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Will not start. Think its the steering lock went bad. Have

Customer Question

Will not start. Think its the steering lock went bad. Have new battery in car. Yellow symbol with key inside showed up on dash board. Everything works but car wont start. How can I know for sure the box went bad before spending so much money?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: No battery is perfect!
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: Ex35 2008
JA: Are you fixing your EX35 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My man is. We have has it tested. So fat just battery. When scaned the only thing that came up was the steering lock but with it being so much we dont want to take chances on replaying it and it possibly being something else.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this moment
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This sounds very much like a Steering lock control unit issue.

How handy are you? I have a trick that could verify this

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I can be as handy as I need to be right now!!!What's the trick? Is it hitting it with a hammer? Lol
Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy077eLJfXk

Here is a video I made. It's not the best, ***** ***** should help you with your situation and also help you start the car.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I hate to do this but it cost more to call. If I end up having to take to a dealer In pretty screwed. Not high on cash at this moment.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My man watched your video he did that. It started once and now won't start at all.
Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

If it started once.. and not it's not starting. Then the Steering lock control unit has failed completely and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is it hard to do ourselves? Does the entire front need to be removed to get to it?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Do you have a video on how to do it?
Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

The steering lock control unit has 2 tamper proof bolts that need to be removed. That is the trickiest part of the whole job

Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

I do not have a video on that. Sorry