Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

The engine has a consistent rattle that just started - it

Customer Question

the engine has a consistent rattle that just started - it has 68k mi on it. The rattle sounds almost like too much lash on a pushrod on an old chevy
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: about a week or so, seems to have gotten more noticable
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 2013 jx 35
JA: Are you fixing your JX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I opened the hood briefly but didn't try to do anything. I do wrench some on chevys and Harleys but once I saw all thos wires, well....:)
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

How loud is this rattle? Do you hear it inside the car or only when outside of it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its actually very clear from inside the car, it's not the kind of rattle that seems like something is falling off. it's definitely in tune with the engine speed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it's also noticeable outside
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
car runs fine so I don't think its piston slap or a blown valve
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Do you think you can a video of the noise so I can hear it?

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

I can keep this question open till you can provide that. I would like to try to hear the noise you are hearing so I can determine of direction of repair.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not near the car now though. will be able to later
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

That would be fine.. I will be online later this evening around 7 pm till 10 or 11 pm.. ok?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok will get it to you ASAP, and thanks!
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

ok.. your welcome

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its not letting me upload video from my iphone
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Try uploading it You Tube, then share the link..

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
https://youtu.be/wOjqK7nvA78
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

That noise as you get towards where the oil fill cap is. Is that the noise you are really hearing? The whining type noise?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That whining cannot be heard in the car but yes that too.The original noise is like a claterring metal sound with the rpms.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

That whining noise is the electronic power Steering pump. That is noisy. So that noise is actually normal.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Then you have injectors that tick which could be the other noise you are hearing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, but the noise wasn't noticeable before. This just started. Im not the only one to notice
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

The electronic power steering pump, allot of customers complain about the noise it makes. When you are outside the car, this thing makes allot of noise. But once you are inside, you really don't hear any of it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I see. Both my wife and i notice noise while driving with closed windows that we didn't hear a week ago. Just seems strange that it would just become noticeable now.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

How long have you owned the car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1.5 yrs and i know for a fact it didnt sound like that 2 weeks ago. I consider myself a car hobbyist but not on these kind
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Did you have the dealer look at it yet? You do have 5 years or 60k mile bumper to bumper warranty

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dealer agreed it was making a noise but it was late Saturday and they were closing so we didn't solve anything. I think im covered to like 70k or something
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

70k is Powertrain. or 6 years

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

If the dealer looked at it and agree'd is was not normal, then I would make arrangements with the dealer to leave the car so they can properly check it for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** it would end up in something simple. Ok will do; thanks for the help
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

I would love it to be something simple. Noises can be tricky. So for this particular noise, it would probably be better to diagnose if there is a issue in person. The video I would say it sounds normal. But in person I am sure it sounds different.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yea if it was my old chevy, i wouldnt even think twice, thats what the sound reminds me of. Like a cam issue. But i know these motors are much different. Thanks again!
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!