mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

Having a starting issue after replacing a few parts, Battery

Customer Question

Having a starting issue after replacing a few parts
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Battery dies have power. Have been trying on my battery and also purchased a new one just to make sure.
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 2003 g35 coupe 6 speed
JA: Are you fixing your G35 Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Well before I changed spark plugs, installed new cam/crank sensors it wouldn't start. I've tried putting old parts back in and nothing. I've replaced all fuses in the ipdm and looked at a few relays. No corrosion. Tried unplugging the maf and it ran just like it should without it. New maf didn't fix problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of. All it does is crank run at a very low rpm then dies. Throttle pedal does nothing. Also has new throttle body. Doing the throttle body relearn doesn't change anything
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  mike switzer replied 1 month ago.

so the vehicle starts without the maff but not with it plugged in? and what all did you replace before the starting issue? also what brand maf was it you used?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
started and was running a bit rough like it should without the maf. Replaced with a hitachi part. I did have a brand new battery in when I unplugged it. I returned that since it wasn't the problem. Current battery had about 12.26 volts at startup.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still have the new maf, I returned the battery
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the car will start, it just has such a low idle that it eventually dies after about 5-10 seconds of running.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The car started fine before replacing both cam sensors, crank sensor, spark plugs and fuel port

okay well the idle after replacing those parts needs to be relearned. either a shop with a decent scan tool or the dealer can do this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the idle relearn have to be done with the engine up to temp? Can't bring the car to a garage or dealer since it won't start. I read somewhere that if replacing all three at once you have to start the car with the crank position sensor unplugged. Said it would take a few extra seconds to start but that will help the ecu learn the cam position.

that some times can work but not always. and idle relearn yes needs to be at operating temp. have you done the crank sensor un plugged method?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I have not tried it yet. Wanted to ask an experts opinion first. Also the hardline that goes to the fuel damper, is that sensitive? I had to cut mine for the fuel port and used a barb fitting to connect the old and new lines. All I had atbthe time was 50 psi fuel line. It did look a little expanded. Is the fuel system complex enough that if that line was pulsing it could create this problem?

it very well could if there is too much pulsation it will actually lower the pressure causing it to stall out. why did you have to cut it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
While priming the pump it holds steady at around 50psi. Haven't looked at it while cranking. The old hose wouldn't come off of the damper and I wanted to remove it to clean it up a bit.

when primed yes it will hold and should be fine. but the pulsations from the injectors is what causes the issues.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll try switching that over to the proper rated fuel line. Also I'll try the crank position sensor unplugged. That okay if I reply a little later after I've tried these. Being in front of the car I can try and give better detailed info on things.

that's fine I would try the crank sensor method first. the fuel line may not be causing an issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to put the line back on anyway. Removed it to make sure I didn't have any blockage. I'll let ya know around 5:00 pm if anything helps.

ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Put the line back on and went to prime it and it was leaking. Had to wait till today to grab a new fitting. I'll let you know same time.

sounds good

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, sorry to be so late. got the fuel line in and cleaned a few grounds. With the crank position sensor unplugged it started. It cranked longer then usual. I just let it idle, didn't touch the throttle. Plugged the crank position sensor in and the car still started. The idle was pretty erratic fluctuating between(###) ###-####rpm. Let the car run a little longer then shut it off. Did the relearn procedures and let it idle for about two minutes. Car felt like it had no throttle response. Rev limit of about 2400 rpm. Was getting a tps percentage and a maf reading. Scanned it for codes and now I'm getting p0340 p0345 p0011 p0021. All parts are hitachi/ dealer parts.

i apologize for not responding work got a bit crazy towards the end of the day i was un able to respond. give me a few and i will look up those codes i never remember them all

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know what the codes are. They are both camshaft sensors and both vct solenoids. What do you think I would cause them.

all you replaced was th shaft sensr correct?

and the other sensors mentioned correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bank 1 camshaft sensor(dealer)
Bank 2 camshaft sensor(dealer)
Crankshaft position sensor(dealer)
Hitachi throttle body
Hitachi mass air flow
Ngk factory heat level 6 sparkplugs
Currently it does start but the revs are very inconsistent. The response is very late and sometimes it won't rev any farther and sometimes it revs freely to about 2400rpm (limp mode still. No cel vdc or slip lights.

ok im sorry i de notice the throttle body replacement did you recalibrate the throttle body after replacement?

i apologize for the errors in typing i am having issues with my keyboard currently... it is wireless and the batteries are tired...

"i did not notice the throttle body replacement" is how it should of read.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah I've had the throttle body on for about 2 months now. Done the relearn multiple times with it and even in limp mode it still revs smooth and consistent. How sensitive are the throttle bodies to taps. I did tap it on the heatshield for the master cylinder while installing it about a week ago. Wasn't a hard hit or anything but other then that or possibly bad gas I can't think of anything else.

gas normally around 6 months to go bad and var. they can be sensitive sometimes the slight wrong move distrups them oter times they will fall 2 stories and be fine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hmm I can try some new gas. I wish was a way I could get throttle body percentage for open or closed. My code reader was getting an accurate number for the amount my foot was moving.

what scanner do

you have

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't remember the exact model. It's the bluetooth actron scanner.

ok well when you look at the data if you can watch the graph for the tps sensor aand b with the engine off key on when you slowly press the gas pedal to the floor both graphs should be a slow but steady transition from 0 to 5v or vice versa one is from 5v to 0 and one is 0 to 5v eiher way it should be smooth any noticeable hiccup then the tps should be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well the scanner only shows a percentage for 0-100% closed to wot. It was showing an accurate number for the amount my foot was on the pedal. The sensor reads the tps and not the pps so the throttle body atleast thinks its opening the correct amount.

okay well you need to be able to read the sensor voltage on a scanner to determine the sensor data. percentage is not accurate enough. I have seen bad throttle bodys that were ne but not many. I would also check with the dealer to make sure that there are no updates for your ecm that are needed. I am not at work today so I can not look up the updates... I work at infiniti