Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Ok, let's see if you can help me, the car is a 97 infinity

Customer Question

Ok, let's see if you can help me, the car is a 97 infinity i30, I have a test meter and a solid know how of electrical troubleshooting,
JA: Are you fixing your I30 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The car will not engage the starter at all, when I turn the key, there is a slight clickingg noise near the solenoid at starter. I would like to test the ignition switch , because that has been intermittent
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Steering wheel turns fine, battery is charged, starter motor is good, I jumped the 2 terminals on starter solenoid and it turned over,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I suspect the inhibitor relay, or any fuses, or the solenoid coil itself
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

It sounds like starter solenoid may be problem, jumping terminals together bypasses the solenoid. If you are hearing a click from starter that would mean ignition switch is sending starter power. With meter verify both the large wire and small wire at starter show at least 11v while trying to start, if so this means starter solenoid has failed. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi dan, I will check this out and get back to you
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Sounds good, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where can I test the voltage tonthe solenoid? There is very little ropm to.the.plug connection at starter.solenoid. Is.there.another.easier.place?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

You need to test voltage where the wires connect. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, well no kidding, :( is there another easier test point?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

I'm afraid not, I'm not trying to upset you. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, where can I test the ignition switch, to be sure thats ok? Do u have a step by step process for checking,key swirch, relay, solenoid?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

If no voltage on the small wire then we will start working our way back toward ignition switch but if that was case then starter would not make a click noise when trying to start.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No voltage getting to solenoid wire
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Did you check with key in start position?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Check to see if pin 6 at the inhibitor relay is getting power with key in start position, if not then ignition switch is most likely problem. If so then replace relay. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, i.see the relay, shall I remove it and check the pin6 or leave it in and test pin 6?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, removed it,no voltage when I try.to.engage starter, on pin 6
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Then that would point toward ignition switch. To be 100% sure access ignition switch and verify white/purple wire has power at all times and check black/white for power with key in start position. If white/purple has power but not black/white you know ignition switch is problem.