peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Fx35 ran out of gas and put gas in it. Now it won't start.

Customer Question

Fx35 ran out of gas and put gas in it. Now it won't start. Sounds like I need to reset the fuel pump switch but can't find it. Help?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 12 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The FX models do not use a fuel pump on/off switch.The engine computer controls the fuel pump relay to turn the pump on and off.The pump then runs as needed with the engine on or key on the first few seconds.If you do not hear the pump coming on with the key on or when cranking over the engine this can be caused by a couple of different things.First if the ECM has any codes set in it for when it ran out of fuel it may be disabling the pump from coming on until a compatible scan tool is plugged into your vehicle to read out the codes and clear them with the same scan tool.

The other issue is when ran out of fuel there is a small risk of burning out the pump and the pump may have been damaged needing replaced.The other issue as well here is the fuel pump relay may have failed or heated up and failed when it was running out of fuel and caused this fault here.

The first thing that would need to be done is to test the signals at the fuel pump relay to help determine if this is just fault codes needing cleared out or if the relay needs replaced or the fuel pump.If you have a multi meter or test light to test electrical with I can tell you how to test this here just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete