Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Parasitic battery drain 290 to 300 milliamps. Checked

Customer Question

Parasitic battery drain 290 to 300 milliamps. Checked voltage drop across fuses. No issues.
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: Yes. It is a FX35 2010. One in the cabin, one in the engine room. There are isolated other locations downstream.
JA: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Dealer replaced the battery 3 times. Alternator is fine. They say everything checks out. OK. Took it to an auto electric shop. He did some checks but wants the car for 2 days and a minimum of $300 to find the problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When you are measuring the amperage draw, did you wait 30 mins or so for the BCM to go to sleep before you took the reading?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Initially when I connect the meter 890 ma
After 1 minute or so drops to 290 to 300 ma
After 30 minutes it is at 150-160.
After that it doesn't seem to change.Only other strange problem - driver side front bumper sonic sensor falsely alarms if car is in sun or temp goes above 80 degrees. Performs normally at other times.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

That is 150 to 160 milli-amp of a draw?

Has the bumper cover had any body work done?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
150 to 160 milliamps. No work or damage to front bumper.The false bumper alarm occurs only when in reverse and or camera is on when it has been in the sun or temp over 80 degrees.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

You waited 30 mins after connecting your meter to determine this amount of draw?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
See above previous response. Yes 30+ minutes. I had it continuously connected and looked at the meter at 30 min. Later 45 and 1 hour. No change. Stable at 150-160.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Ok, So that is around .15 amps. That is a big draw.

Did you try pulling fuses one by one after the 1/2 hour to see if you can remove a fuse that would make the draw drop with in spec?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I measured voltage drop across the fuses. O drop so zero draw. Fuses that I couldn't measure I pulled. I didn't pull any relays. The dealer said the voltage regulator checked out as normal. Don't know what test they performed. Could be a diode that is letting voltage flow from the battery to the voltage regulator.Purchased the vehicle in 2010. First battery lasted 42 months. Second battery lasted about 18 months. Third battery lasted 6 months. These are all original equipment batteries.I commute about 35 minutes each way 4 days a week. Voltage reads 12.5+ after a commute. If I don't drive the vehicle for 4 or 5 days, it dies.I live on the California coast in the hills. Field mice occasionally get into the engine room. There is no visible wiring damage.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

So you pulled fuses from the inside fuse box and the fuse box under the hook and in the IPDM and you still have the same draw?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fuse Block Junction Box and Fusible link box. Yes.Where is the IDPB?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

IPDM is located behind the battery

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

You need to remove the passenger side wiper cowl cover to excess it

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks I will check it out. Do you need to remove the battery to access it? I just looked at a picture of an older model and it was to the left of the battery.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. I will check it out.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

No, you don't have to pull the battery.