Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  Factory trained to repair Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

I have a 2005 G35 and need to replace the Bank 2 Sensor 1

Customer Question

HI,
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I have a 2005 G35 and need to replace the Bank 2 Sensor 1 Air ratio sensor. (P1288) Do I need to disconnect the battery at some point before or after replacing the sensor? Is there something I must do to reset any codes does it reset by itself?
JA: Have you seen this code before? Have you tried a hard reset?
Customer: Yes. I took it into an Infiniti dealer after seeing the code I tried replacing it with an aftermarket sensor and the code came back on. They checked it out and said the after market sensor was not working properly and needed to be replaced. I now have a new OE sensor and need to replace it.
JA: Are you fixing your G35 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: See above.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

This code should clear on it's own once the O2 sensor tests are run by the computer. It won't be an immediate clearing or light going off. To achieve that you will need at least a code reader to clear the codes. You can disconnect the battery, but that can take up to 24 hours and if twhen the ecm backup battery drains you run the risk of lsng the key programming.

Best advice, replace the sensor, drive the car to a parts store and ask that they clear the code for you.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a code reader that clears codes. How long does the car need to run before I can clear the code? And thanks for the answer.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

You can clear the code with your code reader right after you replace the sensor. Then if the sensor is working right, when the computer runs the O2 sensor testing, it will pass and the light will stay out

You are very welcome!!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Also, please remember to rate my answer.
Thanks so much!