Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Second opinion] - I have an 06 G35X that has a cooling fan

Customer Question

Second opinion] - Hi I have an 06 G35X that has a cooling fan that goes nuts for no reason, engine is not overheating, any ideas?
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Not yet, its just started happening, but there are no visable signs of a leak
JA: Are you fixing your G35x yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I plan to if i can ascertain what it may be, otherwise i will take to the shop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's it thx
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I am not scheduled to be online till around 7 pm EST. Can you wait till then?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
NP"s
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for waiting.

So the cooling fan , do you have your air on inside the car when the goes nuts? and wha do you mean by going nuts?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Both fans just spin up and keep going until i turn off the ignition. Temperature is constant at normal i just don't understand it. This happens if the a/c is on or off or just the heat on
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

If you turn the key to the ON position, does the cooling fans come on? Does the car start up and run ok? Any warning lights on when the car is running?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cooling fans only come on after the car has been running for about 10 minutes, not when you turn the ignition on. Car runs fine, temps stay normal, you only hear the fans when you are at a stop light. No warning lights either.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Do you have a scanner to monitor the coolant temp sensor?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, if i need that done the car goes to the shop. But i am sure the cooling system is the issue be it a rad thermostat or whatever trips the fans on
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

If the engine is not over heating yet the fans are kicking on abnormally, I would monitor the coolant temp sensor to see if it's reading the proper coolant temperature.