Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Well, I bought a really well cared for 2010 FX35 with

Customer Question

Well, I bought a really well cared for 2010 FX35 with 139,000 miles. Purchased form a high end exotic dealer in Chicago. They advised that the car had undergone a thorough inspection. I drove it home to Columbus, Ohio and dropped it off at the dealer becasue the check engine light came on and I wanted it inspected anyway.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: The dealer indicated the light was on because it needed a ignition coil on #5. Not a big deal. They also said, that it needs the timing sprocket replaced. I did not hear anything in the engine when driving it. Is there some test taht they may have done that would identify this problem? The guys I bought it from said the only way to tell is if you hear a noise from the engine.
JA: Are you fixing your FX35 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: And they are skeptical and think the dealer is just looking for work. I need to figure out which is right.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope, thanks
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  david craig replied 20 days ago.

Hi Im David. thanks for visiting the site. since the check engine light came on there had to be a code associated with it, and if was determined that the #5 coil was bad the code would have be P0305 .... ask them what code/s they got. ask them how they determined a timing sprocket needed replaced. let me know waht codes they say they got, and tell them you would like to see the codes for yourself.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok. I am headed over there in a few hours. Would the timing sprocket trip a code?

yes

Expert:  david craig replied 19 days ago.

checking in to see whats up?

Expert:  david craig replied 17 days ago.

do you still require assistance or were you able to get it taken care of?