Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a 2010 G37 that has intermittant problems to turn the

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2010 G37 that has intermittant problems to turn the fans on. It runs great unless you are idle. My mechanic thinks the interface computer module that turns the fans on is not working properly and could be the problem. I have been fighting this problem for 3 months. Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the car is running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. Lights are off until it overheats.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Oh, the car is over heating? Did you have any coolant work done with in the past 3 months?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had the water pump replaced. But, this was not the problem. The fans are not turning on now. Every month or so, it has different symptoms. Many parts were replaced including the fan switch, fan, AC pressure switch, complete wiring check. The fans turn on with the hand held diagnostic tool, but don't from the car computer. My mechanic says the computer is supposed to ground the fans to turn them on and this seems to not be happening. He thinks he should now replace the ECM, but not sure. Could this be programming? Many years ago the car was involved in a front end collision, but was repaired by the previous owner. Could something be intermittent? I have taken this car home many times when the mechanic thinks it is fixed. Now it has been sitting in his shop for 6 weeks trying to figure out what to do next. I really hate this car. Let me know.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

If you start the car and turn the AC on, does the fans come on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They used to, but now they do not. The AC will turn on and then turn off shortly at an idle.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

If you turn the AC on and the fans do not come on, then we need to check for power at the fans to see if they are getting the signal to come on. If you do have voltage and ground, you could have bad fans.

How handy are you? do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This has been done. There is 4.8V at the fans. The fans have already been replaced. It is not the fans. It is the signal to the fans to tell them to turn on. What causes this?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

If you have 4.8 volts to the fans, the IPDM is what sends the power to turn the fans on. So next we would want to monitor the voltage coming out of the IPDM. If you have 4.8 volts, then the IPDM is the issue. If you have battery voltage out of the IPDM, then you could be dealing with a wiring issue.

Can you wait till later this evening when I am home from work to share the wiring information for you so you can check power at the IPDM?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thanks. What does IPDM mean?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Intelligent Power Distribution Module

I will be online around 7 pm EST to continue to help you.. ok?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Let me know when you are available

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Jay, I just talked to my mechanic and he says the signal out of that module should be ground and it seems missing. Do you think that module is bad and how expensive do you think it is? Thanks.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

If the issue is the IPDM, that module new is around 600 bucks. They are rare to fail, so if you can pick one up used, I would go that direction.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I forgot to tell you that if you have the hand held computer hooked up, it is possible to turn the fans on and off manually. It appears the ground is missing from this module. Does it still sound like a bad module? Let me know your thoughts.Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Sure it can. I have been able to command things many times when they don't operate. As I said, I would monitor voltage out of the IPDM with the Car running and AC on to see if you have a signal. Also make sure the AC comes on of course..