Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a 2003 Infiniti M45. A few weeks ago the battery died

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2003 Infiniti M45. A few weeks ago the battery died so my husband pulled it and put a new battery in. Since then, I cannot get the radio to keep the channels that I save. The channels will save as long as the car is on, but once we turn the car off the radio channels are no longer saved. any thoughts? this is very frustrating.
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: no, do you think that is the problem?
JA: Are you fixing your M45 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to fix it myself. I have not done anything to try to fix it thusfar.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well, just that the radio works fine except for the fact that it won't hold saved channels.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Good morning.

What most likely happened is the memory fuse that feeds a little bit of voltage to the radio even when the car is off so that is doesn't lose the radio pre-sets somehow blew while the battery was replaced. Either that or the radio it self has an internal short that is cutting power to that circuit when you turn the car off.

Firs thing to do is check fuse #52 in the under hood fuse box. It should be a 15 amp fuse.

Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Do you need any additional info? Were you able to check the fuse?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hi Jared, that wasn't the problem. Any other thoughts?
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

The fuse looked ok?

Where you able to test for 12 volts of power at that fuse?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the fuse was fine. Other thoughts?
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

If you are getting 12 volts (tested with a test light or multi-meter) at that fuse constantly (with the key on or off) then the problem is in the radio it self.